SOLVED

Re: Does Marketo Prevent a lead from receiving the same email twice?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Marketo Prevent a lead from receiving the same email twice?

Hi all:

If a lead has already received an email once from campaign A, and then I try to send the same email from Marketo Sales Insight, will Marketo prevent it from going out?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

Marketo will not prevent the email from going out a second time in the scenario you described.

Marketo does make sure that only one email goes to a specific email address if there are duplicates that go through a Send Email flow step in a campaign, and Marketo will prevent an Engagement Program from sending content to a lead if they've received it from any other source in your instance.  Those are the two times Marketo can automatically prevent duplicate content.

John

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Nope, it won't.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bummer!

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Jamie,

Marketo will not prevent the email from going out a second time in the scenario you described.

Marketo does make sure that only one email goes to a specific email address if there are duplicates that go through a Send Email flow step in a campaign, and Marketo will prevent an Engagement Program from sending content to a lead if they've received it from any other source in your instance.  Those are the two times Marketo can automatically prevent duplicate content.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification John!

KellyJoHorton
Level 3 - Champion Alumni

What if I want to resend the same email six months from now? My scenario is this: I have a BoFu engagement stream. Customer A receives all of the content but doesn't engage with any of it because he/she isn't ready to buy yet. Six months from now I notice buying behavior indicators and I want to send Customer A back through the same BoFu stream. Is the Marketo exclusion absolute and forever? No time limit?

The only work around I can think of is to clone the content to create a new asset ID, but that isn't scaleable.

Kelly Jo Horton
Senior Client Partner
Etumos

khorton@etumos.com
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kelly,

Engagement programs have a different behavior than the other types of programs.

In EP, if the content is the same (meaning the email id is the same) then Marketo will not send it again through the engagement program. This is forever. But you could imagine to clone the email and add the clone to your stream as a replacement of the previous one. In this case, Marketo will see it as a new content and will send it.

-Greg