Re: Do you pay the extra cost of having secure Marketo landing pages or do you use unsecure pages?

Cayce_Armstrong
Level 4

Do you pay the extra cost of having secure Marketo landing pages or do you use unsecure pages?

My company just decided to start using Marketo landing pages for certain things (previously we only used Marketo web forms embedded onto our website hosted in a separate CMS). I didn't realize until just recently that you have to pay an extra fee to Marketo if you want your Marketo landing pages to be secure. 

I'm curious to see if most people who use Marketo's Landing pages go ahead and pay to have their pages secure or do you just go forth with non-secure pages. 

If you choose not to pay for secure pages, have you noticed any issues/consequences?

Cayce Armstrong
Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Do you pay the extra cost of having secure Marketo landing pages or do you use unsecure pages?

Unfortunately (given the cost) if your company has any security awareness at all, you must run SSL. Otherwise, traffic to your LPs can be trivially intercepted and used as a springboard for other phishing attacks.

Cayce_Armstrong
Level 4

Thanks Sanford Whiteman‌ for your reply. I figured that there were consequences of not going forward with the secure pages, and it's frustrating to learn of yet another additional cost for our Marketo account just so we can use a standard feature of the system.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but do you know if there are any other options to secure your Marketo landing pages aside from paying to upgrade to SSL through Marketo? I'm guessing there is not but figured I'd ask before adding any additional costs to my Marketo account.

Cayce Armstrong
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but do you know if there are any other options to secure your Marketo landing pages aside from paying to upgrade to SSL through Marketo? I'm guessing there is not but figured I'd ask before adding any additional costs to my Marketo account.

While I previously made a strong recommendation for an alternative, Marketo has recently taken steps to make that no longer workable. So unfortunately no.

Cayce_Armstrong
Level 4

Well that is definitely unfortunate!

Cayce Armstrong
Brian_Silvey
Level 1

We recently purchased Marketo and SSL was included as a standard line item in the original contract.

Huihsing_Kiang3
Level 4

Cayce Armstrong‌, my company paid for the SSL. This is a must-have now. Without SSL, it'll scare away end-users and they'll be reluctant to give out their info. There is also a negative impact on the SEO side. It will make more sense to include SSL landing page into a Marketo default package instead of charging extra given SSL is almost an industry-standard for web pages. 

Brian_Silvey
Level 1

SSL was included in our overall contract, signed in July 2019, and was not a separate line item. I agree this is a must have.

Cory_Gabor1
Level 4

Hi Cayce,

I would recommend you reach out to your CSM to get the SSL added to your instance and ensure your pages are secure. 

Thanks,

Cory Gabor

Marketing Consultant

LeadMD

Ray_Bennett
Level 2

We went ahead and got secure landing pages and links. 

We realized through testing without secure links and landing pages you couldn't run an effective campaign. If you don't have secure links in your email or had a non-secure landing page a user would get errors. You should definitely have this and it should be discussed during negotiations with Marketo.