SOLVED

Do manually imported leads (via CSV) get saved to the lead database?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do manually imported leads (via CSV) get saved to the lead database?

Will manually imported leads count towards the total leads within my lead database?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Re: Do manually imported leads (via CSV) get saved to the lead database?

Hi Rachel,

Indeed it will. You will see a big increase in the total number of leads after you import them:

pastedImage_0.png

Emma

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Rachel,

Indeed it will. You will see a big increase in the total number of leads after you import them:

pastedImage_0.png

Emma

Sara_Greaves
Level 5

Hi Rachel,

What Emma said is correct. Any time that you add a lead (csv file upload, manual creation), the lead will be added to your lead database. If you're concerned about the total leads in your database, I would comb through them to see if you can delete any. We just deleted a good number of leads with invalid email addresses to free up some space.

Chris_Willis1
Level 8 - Champion

Hi Rachel - it is correct that your CSV list imports will be added to the lead database.  However, if you have pre-existing leads in your Marketo org, you may not see the lead database count increase by the number of leads in your CSV, as Marketo will de-duplicate any leads that already exist in your org with their counterpart in the text file. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

I'm actually noticing a much larger amount of leads in my lead database than there should be (having checked my CRM) is there a way to automatically check that there aren't duplicate leads?

Emmanuelle_Biss
Level 5

Hi Rachel,

You should have a smartlist in your Lead Database to verify and clean any duplicates in your Marketo. Here's where you can find it:

pastedImage_0.png

And then you can merge, delete or modify these duplicates to clean your total leads.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If I delete a statically uploaded list will all the corresponding leads be automatically deleted too?

Thanks,

Sara_Greaves
Level 5

You won't automatically delete the leads in the list. You can think of the list as a container for the leads. Just because the container is deleted, the leads inside of it aren't. When you're looking at the leads tab of your static list, you will see that you have the option to delete the leads you want to remove from the database. There are other ways you can delete leads too, but it just depends on your preferences.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sara,

What's the best way to delete these leads from the database if I've already deleted the corresponding list?

Thanks,

Rachel

Sara_Greaves
Level 5

Hi Rachel,

Do you have another way that you could potentially identify these leads? For example, you may have put people into a list because they were invited to a webinar. The person's program status may have also been updated to invited after you added them to the list. While you won't be able to use a smart list constraint for member of list now that the list is deleted, you can query by the appropriate program status, for instance. You will end up creating a smart list and essentially be working backwards to build the logic for how people were added to the list in the first place. When you are sure that you have identified the people who would've ended up in the original static list, you can then delete those leads.