Re: Do Marketo smart campaigns have the capability to react on data value change in any field?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Marketo smart campaigns have the capability to react on data value change in any field?

Hello,

I have a scenario where two fields should hold the same value always. Most of the times due to manual errors, the values in these two fields are different (the person updating field1 forgets to update field2 and vice versa). I am wondering if I can achieve an automation via smart campaigns to update field1 with the value of field2 if changed or update field2 with the value of field1 as and when changed. Is that possible in the current state of Marketo?

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Do Marketo smart campaigns have the capability to react on data value change in any field?

It sounds like you haven't tested.

Yes, you can use a Data Value Changes trigger, constrained by source (very important) to only catch changes via the Marketo UI, and then Change Data Value in another field accordingly.

However, I question whatever workflow allows for such errors to continue. If two fields need to be the same, there should be only one field that's user-editable, then have changes to that field propagate to the other. Or use a 3rd field as the only user-editable field. Either way sounds like something needs to be redesigned.

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Sanford,

What values do you choose in the source constraint to ensure you are only catching changes made via the Marketo UI?

SanfordWhiteman

Reason [is] Manual lead edit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

I wish to set up this automation between two fields in Programs object - "Backend-LTProgram" and "Program name". I haven't seen these two fields or any field from program object available in smart campaign triggers or actions. Hence posted the question. Is it doable for programs, not lead attributes?

SanfordWhiteman

two fields in Programs object - "Backend-LTProgram" and "Program name"

Nowhere in your question did you say anything about Programs!

There's no such thing as a "field" in a Program. You probably mean Program-level {{my.tokens}} (unless Program Name is the built-in token {{program.Name}} and Backend-LTProgram is {{my.Backend-LTProgram}}).

Either way, you can't fire Smart Campaigns in response to changes in Program-level values.

I don't understand why you'd need two tokens, at the same level, that are required to have exactly the same value at all times. Please explain in full why you're not using one token and opening yourself up to this problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use one field and then use change data value to copy it to another:

For example, I had two forms one had a field called Marketing Opt in and other called as Marketing opt in calculator, both were doing the same thing but I was not sure which forms were using Marketing optin calculator

There was a program Marketing opt in field as a flow step in a Program.

Marketing opt in is true = send email

Now forms with Marketing opt in Calculator were excluded form the above program flow, so I added this step to incorporate the same, ie  change data value if Marketing opt in calculator is True then Marketing opt in Ture

Hope the above makes sense...

SanfordWhiteman

They're Program tokens, though.