Do I really need a dedicated SFDC license for sync?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I really need a dedicated SFDC license for sync?

Hi - when we set up sync, we were told we should have a dedicated SFDC license, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the reason is. We ended up using my boss's seat as he rarely uses it, but he occasionally does and then forgets his password and thus my sync is hosed. 

I do have a SFDC license with full admin privledges but basically use it for back-end admin stuff and reporting. I don't work any leads or opportunities, so that wouldn't be an issue. Any reasons anyone can think of that my account shouldn't be used as the sync account?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Edward_Masson
Level 10

Re: Do I really need a dedicated SFDC license for sync?

It's best not to use YOUR login account. Rather set up another SFDC users specifcally for Marketo Sync. Thats your user. Then you can limit that user access in SFDC. You may not need to sync every single field etc accoss to Marketo.
This will help with performance depending on the size of you data in SFDC.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Edward - so it's a performance issue? We're not a huge company so don't have a huge amount of data.  My management doesn't want to purchase an additional license without any justifiable business reason, so unless someone explains what's the purpose of the dedicated license I have to manage this with existing licenses. 

I still don't see why we can't use MY license if I don't have any leads or opportunities?
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

To my mind, the main problem with using a personal SFDC account as the sync user is if you ever want to restrict your sync in any way. 

As Edward mentioned, restricting field visibility is one example. Maybe you have a field that makes no difference to Marketo but changes often, perhaps via a workflow rule. This will constantly be triggering a sync, increasing API calls. This won't make much difference in the beginning, but it can as you scale. 

Another issue -- what if you want to prevent some records from synching over to Marketo entirely, example, leads or contacts with no email address? Typically this is done via restricting sharing rules on the sync user. But if that user is your admin user that you use for other purposes, then you have a problem. 

Lastly, there is the password issue. Salesforce will occassionally expire your password and then break your sync unless you update the credentials in Marketo quickly. If you have a dedicated sync user you could potentially set them as an API-only user and tell Salesforce not to expire the password (some businesses may be comfortable with that, others not, but at least it's an option). You may not want to do that with a personal account though. 

All that being said, when I worked at a small company we used my personal account for a while as the sync user and it was fine. But eventually it did make sense to have a dedicated account for the reasons above. 

Justin Norris | Perkuto
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

We use a shared user for one of our SFDC integrations but only because that integration must have unrestricted access to everything in SFDC so it makes no difference (plus they never take ownership of anything via the API).

I wouldn't even think of using a shared user for Marketo for the reasons the other guys mentioned. 
JamesD
Level 1

Salesforce now provides 5 free integration user licenses as of March 2023

https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=release-notes.rn_api_integration_license.htm&release=24...

I'm trying to find someone who's successfully linked it to Marketo using this new license.  (saves a dedicated user license!)

DanLeBlanc
Level 1

I've successfully done this. We've been successfully using a standard user with all of the required permissions in a permission set for the past 6 months. Recently, in order to save on full licenses, I've been reviewing the Minimum Access - API Only Integrations profile. I've been successful in making the switch over, but noting that one permission that isn't directly stated anywhere as needed is the "Access Activities" permission. Make sure this is set; otherwise you will likely receive the sync error with Tasks.