SOLVED

Re: Do I need to worry about throttling emails to one domain?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need to worry about throttling emails to one domain?

I've heard that it's not good to suddently email the same domain (@company.com) with lots of email because it could raise a red flag on the email filters of the domain - and some/all may get blocked as spam.

How big of an issue is this really?

Marketo seems unconcerned with the issue especially with the design of engagement program where all emails are sent at the same time via a cast, regardless of domain considerations (or are they doing something in the back end)?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Idea: http://community.marketo.com/marketoideadetail?id=08750000000InqvAAC
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

We actually do a lot of this automatically. Most mail servers, when they feel like they are getting too many emails from one sender (like Marketo) will send us a soft bounce back saying we should wait.

The mail sending infrastructure will them wait before trying again, rather than trying to force everything through and having them bounce. Now, we currently don't have a way for manual control, but the process works well if you just need the email to get delievered when possible.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kimi_Heskett1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

I find that it is an issue and that if we are hitting a large group of folks at the same company we are not getting through. I wish this issue would be more broadly addressed. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

We actually do a lot of this automatically. Most mail servers, when they feel like they are getting too many emails from one sender (like Marketo) will send us a soft bounce back saying we should wait.

The mail sending infrastructure will them wait before trying again, rather than trying to force everything through and having them bounce. Now, we currently don't have a way for manual control, but the process works well if you just need the email to get delievered when possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So Erik - what you're saying is - Marketo is automatically taking care of this problem - no need to manually adjust or worry about this specific issue?
Marketo_Marketo
Level 2

Yes.

Now, some folks do want to manually throttle delivery so they don't overwhelm other processes, but that is a somewhat seperate issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only reason I was even considering doing manual throttle is to address the technical issue of overwhleming a domain and getting bounced. If it's something that's handled automatically, I don't care to do anything manually, and I would consider the "Idea" solved.