SOLVED

Do I have to to disable Marketo/SFDC sync when creating new custom fields in SFDC?

Go to solution
Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

Do I have to to disable Marketo/SFDC sync when creating new custom fields in SFDC?

Hi everyone,

I was told that in order for a new custom field created in SFDC to sync to Marketo, I have to disable the sync in Marketo, but I can't find any instructions on that in the help articles.

All I found is this - https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LJOjCAO

So do I have to disable the sync during the time when a field is created, or during the time when I give Marketo access to this field only, or both?

Thanks a lot!
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Do I have to to disable Marketo/SFDC sync when creating new custom fields in SFDC?

Now someone has probably said that if you want to ensure a proper map, turn off the sync for 5 minutes while you create the fields and map the field across objects. I personally haven't needed to do this, but it might be safe to do so. Obviously do this during a lull in traffic, like 5pm on Friday or over the weekend.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do I have to to disable Marketo/SFDC sync when creating new custom fields in SFDC?

Hi Iryna,

My experience has been that if I create a new custom field on either the account or contact object in Salesforce then Marketo automatically picks up the new field, I did not have to disable the sync.  The instructions you are seeing are just to make sure that Marketo can actually "see" and access the new field you are creating.  So long as marketo can see and access it, the new field will appear in Marketo within 15 minutes.

You only have to disable the sync if you are adding a entirly new custom object.

Simon
Josh_Hill13

Simon is correct. It is BETTER to keep the sync on so the fields so up correctly. Keep in mind that you must map any Lead-Contact or Contact-Account fields when you setup the fields so they are mapped properly in Marketo too.
Josh_Hill13

Now someone has probably said that if you want to ensure a proper map, turn off the sync for 5 minutes while you create the fields and map the field across objects. I personally haven't needed to do this, but it might be safe to do so. Obviously do this during a lull in traffic, like 5pm on Friday or over the weekend.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh Hill

Looking into why we have a delay sometimes with Salesforce syncing back to Marketo, we noticed that our Salesforce Object Sync has been disabled for 2 years. Is there any reason we would want to keep it disabled?

I am wondering if this is the delay issue in syncing.

Thanks!

Greg

Josh_Hill13

Do you mean the Custom Object Sync? You should only turn that on if you want to use custom objects.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

Yes, the Custom Object Sync is a intriguing beast! I will leave it off for now, until I can learn more about how it could assist my team.

Thanks Josh!

Greg

Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

SImon, Josh, thanks a lot!