SOLVED

Display token instead of token value on landing page

Go to solution
Naor_Chazan3
Level 2

Display token instead of token value on landing page

We use marketo landing pages to create a simplistic URL builder for UTM parameters etc. I have a need to append the end of a bit of text with a token, but I don't want the system to actually populate that token. Meaning, I want the user (our internal MOPs teams) to be able to copy this text, including the actual marketo token text {{lead.email address}} in this case. Is there a way to force the landing page NOT to fill in the actual token?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Display token instead of token value on landing page

There are a number of ways to do this, actually — it's totally possible.

In HTML, just wrap one of the curly braces in a span:

<span>{</span>{lead.Email Address}<span>}</span>

In JS, assemble the value dynamically using the same concept:

var email = "{" + "{lead.Email Address}" + "}";

This question aside, I'm a little concerned that you're intending to put raw {{lead.tokens}} in a URL. That's only safe if they're numeric (i.e. Integer/Score fields) or if you strictly control the characters you use in Marketo names. Tokens can't be used directly in URLs otherwise.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

So if I understand this correctly you want to use token but you want some way to prevent the tokens from working.. 
I am having hard time figuring out what kind of use-case will require so? Anyways as far as I know there is no way in stopping the token for getting populated for which the value exists. If you have some use-case where in your internal tram requires the URL in its raw form without the token getting populated you may want to make a document housing all the URLs for different LPs in raw format (w/o token values).

Please help us with a bit more details of your use-case/business requirements so we might be able to look an alternative approach/workaround for you. 

SanfordWhiteman

There are a number of ways to do this, actually — it's totally possible.

In HTML, just wrap one of the curly braces in a span:

<span>{</span>{lead.Email Address}<span>}</span>

In JS, assemble the value dynamically using the same concept:

var email = "{" + "{lead.Email Address}" + "}";

This question aside, I'm a little concerned that you're intending to put raw {{lead.tokens}} in a URL. That's only safe if they're numeric (i.e. Integer/Score fields) or if you strictly control the characters you use in Marketo names. Tokens can't be used directly in URLs otherwise.

Naor_Chazan3
Level 2

Hey thanks, this worked like a charm! 

This landing page and form are an internal-only tool for creating tagged URLs which we use in Marketo emails. Not at all different from Google's own UTM parameter creator, just something we can control ourselves. The reason for adding the email token at the end is for use in another system which is integrated with Marketo. It essentially passes the user's munchkin data from Marketo to the other system (PathFactory). So the resulting URL has both UTM parameters for Google Analytics and Bizible, as well as the user's email from the email they received from us. 

SanfordWhiteman

The reason for adding the email token at the end is for use in another system which is integrated with Marketo.

Hmm, the problem is you can't safely include {{lead.Email Address}} as-is. It needs to be URL-encoded, like any query parameter.

SanfordWhiteman

More details on the Products Blog: Displaying literal curly braces {{ }} in LPs and emails