Re: Display Different Text/Asset Images on LP Using Tokens

Seth_Wood
Level 2

Sanford! I would not have believed it, had you not included that URL (https://pages.vaneck.com/lab-runtime-segmentation-01.html?State=ny)!

The part I can't figure out is how to create the segments to look at the URL. For example, I want to do the same thing as what you demonstrated, but with my PPC ads, and the same landing page but differentiated in the URL to display different content:

• utm_term=product_x
  • utm_term=product_y
  • utm_term=product_z

But in order to create the segmentation, I have to create segments, and the segments require a smart list and I can't find a way to look at URL parameters in the segment. Surely I'm missing something because your example works exactly the way I want to do it. Any ideas or help would be very much appreciated!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Your URL parameter name is the name of your segmentation.  For example, we're using this same "real-time" approach for delivering country-based content.  So the URL must contain a segmentation name for the url parameter. For example: page.com?CountryParam=us

pastedImage_0.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

What Dan said.

Seth_Wood
Level 2

Dan and Sanford... thanks so much for replying!

Ahh... so not sure if I'll be able to use this cool ability with PPC... ?

Google Ads generates a URL like this:

landing-page.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=products&utm_term=product-x

Your examples work with just one parameter after the question mark, but the source wouldn't do me much good. I would need to leverage the campaign and ideally the campaign and the term.

My best guess is to try something like this and see if Marketo can parse that out of the end of the URL:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

Have either of you seen it done something along these lines? Just curious. Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

Any URL parameter will do, doesn't have to be the first!

And you can pass different segmentations (one segmentation per param).

But because of the way Marketo works (with or without this method) only one segmentation applies to a given piece of content. (Though there are ways to get tricky with this by using JS blocks.)

Gunpreet_Kaur1
Level 3

Hi,

I am in a similar situation and would like to know - how you created segments for the url param, for which no field exist(to filter).

SanfordWhiteman

No need for a specific field, your Segment Smart Lists can all check for non-empty Email or something generic like that.

Gunpreet_Kaur1
Level 3

Thanks!

Dylan_Rodgers
Level 2

This is awesome! Thank you Sanford!

Having looked into this post before and then putting it on the back burner for a while, I conflated how complicated this would be. I just tested this yesterday and wow is this easy and awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this works without the use of cookies, so it works even for those with the strictest of privacy settings.

Thumbs uuuup!

SanfordWhiteman

Right, no cookies.