Difference between nurture vs trigger emails

Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference between nurture vs trigger emails

I attended the Marketo Summit session, "Data Insights Across the Marketo Customer Base." Here's the link to the presentation: Sessions – The Marketing Nation Summit, April 13-15, 2015 – Marketo

There was a lot of talk about how "trigger campaigns" worked better than both batch and nurture campaigns. I understand why "batch and blast" is a bad practice, but I wanted to know what the difference was between nurture and trigger campaigns. Can't you have triggers included in your nurture/engagement campaigns?

1 REPLY 1
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Difference between nurture vs trigger emails

I think people need to be careful with terms and Marketo:

• Nurturing is a process of sending out a stream of emails to leads with the intention of getting them toward a sale. (Or MQL).
  • Trigger Campaigns are triggered emails based on a behavior or data change in Marketo.
  • Engagement Nurture is a type of Program in Marketo that enables special features that HELP Nurturing. I see alot of people say "nurturing" when they mean "Engagement Program"..which is probably why you would be a bit confused here.

Now, in Marketo, you can trigger a nurturing stream of emails, which is actually what you DO want to have happen. In Marketo, there are two main ways to do this:

1. Trigger a series of emails in a smart campaign(s) that uses wait steps.
  2. Trigger entry into an Engagement Nurture Program that uses Streams and Cadences to manage the email sent out. (can also enter on batch campaign)

Neither of these are batch and blast techniques.