Re: Demographic Lead Scoring

Conor_McCormick
Level 2

Demographic Lead Scoring

So I've been asked to pick up managing our Marketo instance after some recent personnel changes and have been tasked with implementing a simple lead scoring system. I work mostly on the reporting/business process side and have had exposure to marketing automation, but haven't lived in it for a couple years. Initially, it will just be used to gather data and let us readjust scores based on outcomes, but eventually it will "go live" and be used to route leads based on demographic "sweet spot", with leads outside the sweet spot being routed to a qualification team for follow up.

What I am trying to achieve: Based on demographic values on a lead, have Marketo produce a score on the lead record in SFDC.

• This will not be used (at least for 4-6 months after implementation), for anything other than producing a score based on seven different demographic attributes
    1. Each attribute has 2-7 different possible responses with corresponding point values
    2. The scoring matrix, attributes, weights, points values, ranks, etc are already determined. They just need to be put into Marketo so that (not my actual attributes, just an example) the following occurs when a lead is submitted and created in SFDC:
      1. An Accounting Manager (+5), at a firm with 50-75 employees (+5), with a monthly revenue between $5-10 million (+8), with a physical and web store (+10), needing a single software license (+3), unlikely to need temp contractors (+0), Needs a specific type of add-on (+5)
      2. Those values change the mapped  SFDC Lead Score Field to 36 (out of 50)
    3. What is the best way to accomplish this? As an added bonus, the lead forms are not housed or run through Marketo, but the integration does allow for Marketo to update lead records in SFDC, I'm not too sure on the specifics, TBH, and it's not my burden to figure out/fix...yet. If anyone can point me to the right resource and give me a couple quick bullet points, it would be much appreciated. I honestly do not need anything that discusses Sales/Marketing alignment, and all the tutorials I've found regarding lead scoring seem to spend half the content discussing alignment and best practice and almost no time on the "this is how you actually do it".  I really just need, "do this, this, then this, then hit this button", kinda thing.
4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Conor,

You would imagine to start with Marketo scoring programs that you can import from the Marketo Program Library. See Import a Program - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

-Greg

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This should help you too Conor: Video Link : 1647 

The skillbuilder videos are great.

What you can do is build out all the smart campaigns, such as If Title is "accounting manager" change score +5. Run them as a batch campaign to apply to your existing database. And then change them all to trigger campaigns to score new leads in the future.

Conor_McCormick
Level 2

Got it - does each score point need to be it's own campaign or can I combine them all into one flow? For example, can Revenue and Title scores be in the same List/Flow or does each category need it's own separate one?

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Unfortunately each one should be separate, otherwise you will miss some. So one would be If title contains manager, flow step is increase score 5 points. Then clone it and change it for revenue. Good news is you won't have to do this often! Also you should put this all in one program and also use tokens for the score changes, you don't absolutely have to do that, but it will save you time later.