Re: Deliverability Tool

Anonymous
Not applicable

Deliverability Tool

Hi all,

I'm just diving into Marketo and would like to check the spam score and how the email will look like using different devices. From what I am told the Deliverability tool can do that, although I'm not entirely sure how. Is there a step by step guide to using this tool and what are the benefits? I think right now it's appearing as the IBM tool. 

On another note have the DKIM set up, SPF set up for the domain we're sending the email out from, the email itself has been drafted and approved, smart list and numbers have been confirmed, we're on a shared IP (not sure if that matters) - just a little lost at what to do next before scheduling. Does anyone have some best practices when it comes to achieving high deliverability rate? Like doing A/B testing before hand? Or perhaps a checklist of things to accomplish before scheduling a campaign? 

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Please see my slides and guide on this.http://www.slideshare.net/jdavidhill/marketo-email-reputation-management

Deliverability depends on a lot of things. Your new Tool (not IBM) is about to be released, so use that to run some campaigns or email templates through. Fix anything it flags.

• Good things
    • Opted In Lists
    • Double opted in lists
    • relevant content
    • avoid spammy words
    • send from a consistent group of email addresses
  • Bad things
    • spam traps  - clean these
    • competitors
    • too many hard bounces - remove/block these
    • too many soft bounces - remove/block
    • inactive leads - people who dont click, visit site etc. Stop sending to them.
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@Stephanie D From what I have seen so far the old tool is much better at telling you your score based on industry-standard tests.  Unfortunately it also has obsolete blacklsits in it that IBM won't fix.  And it's really clumsy to use.  So it's not a great scenario.

Follow @Josh Hill's suggestions, which all apply regardless of whether you use an automated tool.

P.S. SPF is meaningless for Marketo emails, despite the hype.

Anonymous
Not applicable

>>SPF is meaningless for Marketo emails, despite the hype

Why? 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Because emails from Marketo don't rely on your SPF record, but on Marketo's (for the envelope sender <verp@*.mktomail.com>).

More info here: Re: Mailed By em-sj-77.mktomail.com - How to Fix?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We use "Email on Acid" for this.  Litmus is another third-party tool if you're not satisfied with the Marketo offering.