Deleting or Archiving?

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Deleting or Archiving?

... should I keep this old landing page that I will never ever use again or should I delete it? Does it make sense to keep records of a one-off campaign I run 3 years ago to promote an event nobody remembered of? ... what are your best practices in terms of archiving or deleting?

Thanks.

Cécile @ Talend
5 REPLIES 5
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Deleting or Archiving?

Personally, I never delete unless it was a test/setup for something. Otherwise, there's always a chance that someone is going to want something that we did a while back, and it's easier to go back to the campaign than reinvent the wheel. I think I'd just be very structured in my archiving, and really try to keep old stuff hidden away unless it's totally necessary to have. Internally, you might be able to come to some kind of agreement that says that you'll delete things after x number of years, and after that people can't ask you to dig it up. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

I keep it for reporting sake. i add it into an "archive folder" so that it doesn't appear in smart lists as an option, and i just leave it to be forgotten in time. Then if you ever want to say that you did something, but it wasn't very successful, now you have proof. Data wins arguments. 🙂
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Thanks!

Data wins arguments. 🙂
@ Adam: if that was that simple! Usually it's more: try again and then ... "I told you so!'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Like Adam and Dory, I lean towards archiving unless it absolutely makes sense to delete it (junk, testing, etc.). I think Adam & Dory covered it well but one more tip... when archiving programs, I'll try to add something into the name of the program such as "(ARCHIVE)".  I do this because RCA reporting, at this time, doesn't recognize archives so everything still comes up as searchable.  I can filter out programs that start with that, if needed.
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

thanks Joanna for the tip!