Default Value for Token Not Displaying -- Google Chrome

Anonymous
Not applicable

Default Value for Token Not Displaying -- Google Chrome

We are trying to use the code below to make one of our landing pages personalized:

"Learn how to improve {{Company.Company Name:default=your company}}'s performance"

This should display the following depending on the data we have about the visitor:

Known lead - "Learn how to improve ACME's performance"
Anonymous lead - "Learn how to improve your company's performance"

What is happening intermittently on Chrome is that for anonymous leads the landing page will ignore the default setting and display the text as follows:

Anonymous lead - "Learn to improve 's performance"

I don't understand what is causing this -- does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I'd really like to put this functionality into production but need to be more comfortable with it's stability. Thanks in advance for your help!
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Default Value for Token Not Displaying -- Google Chrome

In those cases, does the Company Name field have a space character in it?  Or is that visitor anonymous - don't know that is the cause, just looking for a pattern.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Elliott,

In the cases that I've seen it, the visitor is anonymous. I did notice it once when Chrome was in incognito mode but I have not been able to replicate that consistently.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can test this repeatedly on different browsers and with different internal users.  Just delete the _mkto_trk cookie associated with your web domain.  Then you can test using incognito mode and not incognito mode to see if it is reproducable.  If so, I would open a case with Marketo tech support.  I would think that Marketo should handle displaying the default value for the token in both of these cases, but they are a bit different than a known user with a blank field value.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may want to reach out to support- if you can reproduce this and it isn't something like a space character as Elliott says, we'd want to fix it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

This issue actually affects how the token handles unknown users (not only incognito users as I mentioned before). Unknown meaning, they have not submitted a form/no data pre-populated.  

Upon visiting the page for the first time the default value is shown but if the user hits refresh, the default value is removed and the text renders incorrectly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update James - did Marketo say that this was a bug or expected behavior?