Re: Data Value Change does not apply to new leads

Jason_Scott
Level 4

Data Value Change does not apply to new leads

I've noticed when a new lead fills out a form the data on the form is not considered a data value change.  Which means I can not run smart campaigns or smart lists with "data value change" for these leads.

For example a new lead fills out a form and they select "yes" for 'widget a'.  We then trigger an email when 'widget a' data value changes to "true".  The trigger is only working when the lead is existing, not new.  Does Marketo not see the data value change with existing leads?  Have you experienced this?

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jason,

You are correct, data value changes are only for field updates that occur after change.

Use 2 triggers and 1 filter:

1. Trigger: Data value changes. Attribute = widget a
  2. Trigger: lead is created
  3. Filter: widget a = Yes

This will fire both on lead creation and field update, when the field is set to Yes.

-Greg

Jason_Scott
Level 4

We'll give this a try.  Thank you!

Abaran
Level 5

Hello Gregoire

How would you do the same thing but a batch campaign? So we have leads that come in via a form and a URL parameter,for example www.mycompany.com?PAR=1234

While people register we had these people in list but we want to know the ones that came in brand new versus the ones that had a value in the field where PAR=1234 is store.

Thanks

Axel

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can filter on Lead Was Created and Date of Activity.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

In addition to Sanford's point, you can also use the "form" constrains on the "lead was created" filter. It will give you only the fields that were create through this form.

The problem is, you will not be able to add a "querystring" constraint to the lead was create filter. So you will have to combine it with a filled out form filter, on which you can filter on querystring.

But then a new difficulty: what if people have filled out the form twice or more with the querystring on the second fillout?

So you will have to separate the leads who have filled out the form twice with a "not filled out" filter, min number of times = 2.

If you have any who have filled out the form twice, I am afraid you will have to handle them manually.

-Greg

Lynn_Ray_Pardo
Level 5

Thank you sooo much!! Gregoire Michel! This is a huge aha!

I am so grateful for all of you!

Lynn

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

I like "Fills Out Form" better than "Lead is Created" or "Data Change." It registers a few seconds after the lead is created, and sometimes it needs those few seconds to recognize the initially populated values.

Robb Barrett
Lynn_Ray_Pardo
Level 5

Thank you sooo much!! Robb! This is also huge aha!

I am so grateful for all of you!

Lynn