SOLVED

Re: Customize Email Button Style without Unlinking Template

Go to solution
Dylan_Yip-Chuck
Level 2

Customize Email Button Style without Unlinking Template

I'd like to further customize the CTA buttons within our Marketo emails. My hope is to make a simple change to the border-radius of the buttons so that they more closely reflect what is on our website. 

I am hoping to get some advice on how to go about customizing a button element? What are the steps you'd go through for this? Ideally, I would like to continue being linked to the Template I am using. I know sometimes when you edit the code directly, Marketo will unlink the template (which in turn closes access to the modules in the email builder.) 

Thanks in advance! 

Dylan Yip-Chuck
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The gold standard for cross-client buttons is the Bulletproof Buttons builder: https://buttons.cm/

You must also change the markup for Marketo emails: Those bulletproof buttons are also *tracking*-proof, though (here's the fix) 

No reason you can't modify your template to include these. It doesn't have to be done at the individual email asset level.

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this, but can you share the steps I'd take to take my custom button HTML code and add it to my email template? 

2 possible ways, depending on whether you're using a custom template already or have been building on a Marketo starter template.

If a custom template, click on the template name, which will take you to the editable Design Studio asset:

2020-06-20 15_14_05-Marketo _ Lab - VTL in Snippet Dyn • Marketing Activities.png

If it's a starter template, as shown here...

2020-06-20 15_12_55-Marketo _ Lab - VTL in Snippet Dyn • Marketing Activities.png

... then you need to create an editable template from it...

2020-06-20 15_14_36-Program Lab 2885 - VTL General.Lab - VTL in Snippet Dyn.png

... and use that new template for your customizations.

The template syntax is quite well-documented in the Marketo Docs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

The gold standard for cross-client buttons is the Bulletproof Buttons builder: https://buttons.cm/

You must also change the markup for Marketo emails: Those bulletproof buttons are also *tracking*-proof, though (here's the fix) 

No reason you can't modify your template to include these. It doesn't have to be done at the individual email asset level.

Dylan_Yip-Chuck
Level 2

Thank you for the Bulletproof Buttons resource, that's great! I've built exactly what I want and now have the HTML code. 

Now that I have the code, how do I go about modifying the template? When I've tried clicking the "Edit Code" button within the "Edit Draft" interface, it's unlinked my email from the template. 
I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this, but can you share the steps I'd take to take my custom button HTML code and add it to my email template? 

Thanks again in advance. 

Dylan Yip-Chuck
SanfordWhiteman

2 possible ways, depending on whether you're using a custom template already or have been building on a Marketo starter template.

If a custom template, click on the template name, which will take you to the editable Design Studio asset:

2020-06-20 15_14_05-Marketo _ Lab - VTL in Snippet Dyn • Marketing Activities.png

If it's a starter template, as shown here...

2020-06-20 15_12_55-Marketo _ Lab - VTL in Snippet Dyn • Marketing Activities.png

... then you need to create an editable template from it...

2020-06-20 15_14_36-Program Lab 2885 - VTL General.Lab - VTL in Snippet Dyn.png

... and use that new template for your customizations.

The template syntax is quite well-documented in the Marketo Docs.