Custom Object link is not working for new records

Julia_Brukhman
Level 1

Custom Object link is not working for new records

Hi.

I've created custom object in Marketo, added a link field and it worked for my existing records.  However, when a new record is created (via form integration or upload), linked field is populated, but custom object data is not showing up.

For visualization: I am using "Building" as a custom object which represents a school in our case.  Building ID is a linked field.  In a custom object tab I see data for some records, but not for others.  (Checked Building ID validity, it's fine).  Looks like on create connection is not happening. 

What step in setting up custom object am I missing?

Thank you for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Re: Custom Object link is not working for new records

Based on the information you've given so far, it's actually pretty hard to tell why this might be happening. I would at least start by seeing if there's discrepancies by source (form integration vs. upload), because it sounds like the object setup itself is fine--it's getting the data in. Look for patterns and work backwards.

Although I'm a little suspicious of any sort of form integration as it relates to custom objects, because that needs to be set up correctly to its own external server-side service in order for that to work.

Julia_Brukhman
Level 1

Hi Courtney,

Thank you for reply.  It may be my understanding of custom objects that need to be corrected.  I thought that I can create custom object records (in my case Buildings) and then when link filed is populated on the Lead record, connection is established between Lead and Building.  I want to model relationship: a Person(Lead) has a Building Record.

From API integration, it does not seem to be the case.  I cannot create 'disconnected' Buildings.  I get an error 'Lead does not exist'.  

Here is my object setup

pastedImage_1.png

Building ID field exists on the Lead record, it is an integer number.  Should my link field be Lead ID instead?   Each Lead can have 0 or 1 Building.

Thank you for your help!

Tony_Mayse
Level 3

You're right that you can't create disconnected Custom Objects. You need to have at least one lead to link it to when it's created. This is a business rule not a technical requirement which is why deleting the last lead associated with a custom object doesn't remove the object; it will remain and be disconnected.

You'll need to create the objects when the first connected lead is created in Marketo Engage.