Credit Card Expiry Warning

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Credit Card Expiry Warning

Hi All, 

I am trying to build out a campaign to catch people whose cards will expire in the coming month, with a three email series, dropping them off the flow if they change their details. 

Main queston right now is; how detailed can campaign flows be? i.e. can I jus thave one flow that manages it all, or do I run separate campaigns to; find the relevant people | email the relevant people | send thank you email | send follow up email etc..

Secondary question is how/why run a program success campaign to report on the campaign?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Credit Card Expiry Warning

I trust you're only storing the expiration date...

... anyway, this is effectively the same as a Birthday Campaign, search for posts on that.

SanfordWhiteman

Come to think of it, you don't even need the robustness of Birthday-style logic, because the date is exact. Just recurring batches, filtering on Expiry Date [in future]/[in future after]. By changing the data value, they automatically take themselves out of consideration for the next batch.

If you set the date windows in advance, then you don't need any wait steps to determine if someone should get a follow-up. In other words, if they qualify for the campaign because their card expires in 21 days, you've implicitly already emailed them when it was 30 days (and so on). There would be some room for error if somebody signed up with a card that was already in a lower threshold (so you wouldn't have sent them the 30d notice, only the 21d), but you may not care about that.

I do want to make sure you aren't storing card numbers themselves in Marketo, though!

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Hi Sanford,

Thanks so much for the follow up. I did look through the Birthday thread and found it not quite pertinent to my needs but also felt like I had bothered you enough with questions so I left it alone.

I may also be overcomplicating it myself in MKTO (and no, card numbers not stored, only exp. Month) by finding relevant people, a separate campaign each for sms/emailing them, adding them to a list, removing from the list people whose data value (card details) changed, and then emailing people still in the list after a period of time. After that I will need to create a list of people who go through this entire flow and details still not changed for a personal call.

Is that process too many steps?

SanfordWhiteman

Is that process too many steps?

Sounds like it, yes.

Again, if you set up recurring batches for each period out (and they don't need separate static lists, they can and should work from their own internal smart lists) you can then safely assume that anyone who qualified for those batches received the emails (at at least that you attempted to send the emails, which in this case probably suffices). And this is a unique case where the CTA, if you will, automatically disqualifies them from the next reminder, as desired: once they change their expiration date, then they won't qualify anymore until they hit the next 90-day window a few years later.

But of course there are more robust approaches that would involve more campaigns, more tailored content, more detection of delivered vs. sent, etc.

Lucas_Metherall
Level 4

Thanks Sanford.

I terms of reaching out to these people, our preference is to SMS, but some either have no mobile number or don’t want to receive SMS, how do I manage those in priority; in the Flow? Is it a choice? i.e. is SMSable call webhook SMS if not SMSable send email..?

SanfordWhiteman

Sure, use Add Choice for both Call Webhook and Send Email.

If they match the field value requirement for each then call the webhook or send the email; if not, leave the default choice at --do nothing--.