Re: Creating two records (leads) from one form - Referral Program

Kat_Narvaez
Level 2

Creating two records (leads) from one form - Referral Program

Hello,

I've searched for info on this and I've seen others that have similar situations but not quite what we're trying to do. We're sending out a referral card in the mail to our current customers (we don't necessarily have their email addresses), so they can refer a friend, and in turn, we'll mail our customer a gift and we'll mail the friend information about our products. But we want to give our customer the option of filling out the referral card online. The online form will have:

• Fields for our customer to fill out their name, email (so we can add them to our e-newsletter list), and mailing address.
  • Fields for their friend's info: name, mailing address, product info we should send them (checkboxes)

What we want the marketo program to do:

• Create a record with our customer's info
  • Add customer to one of our lists
  • Create a record for customer's friend (with or without their email address, if possible)
  • Add friend's info to a separate list

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? My initial idea was just create one record (our customer) and add custom fields for friend's info, then just extract the friend's info and re-upload to a separate list. Just wondering if there's a more elegant way to do this.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Kat, you definitely don't need to extract the data and reupload it. You do this using the regular Referral Form pattern with a little enhancement.

You post the form twice. First, you post with the referrer's information (and the Munchkin cookie so the interactive lead is associated with the session). Then when the first post succeeds, switch in the referral's info and post again (leaving out the cookie this time per the usual RF guidelines​). 

The two form post "modes" can be distinguished by an additional field, so you know which list to put the person in.

Note this all happens automatically behind the scenes using JavaScript. The lead just sees the form post once as usual, they don't see anything different.

(Granted my confidence comes from having done this before.)

Kat_Narvaez
Level 2

Hi Sanford, thank you for the response! Can you send an example of the one you did?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I can put up a cut-down demo of the way we do this on my blog, but it'll take a couple of days to get to it.

Christine_Libro
Level 3

Sanford Whiteman​ - I'm in the process of building this form now. Non-tech here, would love to read this post and see if it's possible for me to build it.

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Kat,

I asked this same question a few months back and the Community provided a few more methods here: When a customer fills out a referral form, is there a way to use the new lead's info to automaticall...

I ended up opting for this method: How to Build Multi-part Forms