SOLVED

Creating a webhook for Google Lead Forms

Go to solution
Justin_Laberge
Level 2

Creating a webhook for Google Lead Forms

Hey Marketo community,

I have a question in relation to building a webhook for Google lead forms:

We're setting the webhook up and the documentation is all making sense but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the actual Hostname URL from google.

I have documentation for how it works here - Overview  |  Lead Form Webhook  |  Google Developers 

But I'm not sure how I can test it and see what the Hostname (URL) is for Marketo:

pastedImage_3.png

Everything else is just creating the webhook itself but testing the hostname and seeing where I can get that information for marketo remains a mystery to me.

If we add our SOAP/REST (not sure which either) information here - where can I see the results of this test?

I may be completely off base but any starting point to this would be greatly appreciated - or if you've created this before

Have a great day,

-Justin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Creating a webhook for Google Lead Forms

In this case the webhook is a request fired by Google into an intermediate webhook-compatible API gateway that you build. It's not a Marketo webhook.  (While the rest of the post is pretty overwhelming, you might read the first part of my post https://nation.marketo.com/community/product_and_support/blog/2019/08/27/extremely-strange-webhooks-... for a dive into the terminology of which side is the webhook.)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman

In this case the webhook is a request fired by Google into an intermediate webhook-compatible API gateway that you build. It's not a Marketo webhook.  (While the rest of the post is pretty overwhelming, you might read the first part of my post https://nation.marketo.com/community/product_and_support/blog/2019/08/27/extremely-strange-webhooks-... for a dive into the terminology of which side is the webhook.)

Justin_Laberge
Level 2

Thanks Sandy, extremely helpful blog post and reply from you as always!!

Erek_Bond
Level 2

I received a request today from my digital marketing team to set this up as well, which led me to this thread. If I'm understanding correctly, the webhook-compatible API gateway is neither a Google or a Marketo service, it is something separate. So to get this set up I need something more than Google and Marketo, like Zapier? How else might I go about this, in general terms so I can figure out where to go? 

SanfordWhiteman

Right, it's quite simple content mapping -- yet still requires an interstitial translation layer. You're taking a JSON payload and rotating it (if you will) into a Form/URL-encoded payload and posting it to the Marketo forms endpoint.

I plan to put up a blog post showing how I built this with AWS API gateway (where it can be done only with body mapping templates, no "code" per se). However I'm about to go away for a week (back on the 12th) so you'd have to be patient...

Erek_Bond
Level 2

Fantastic. Thank you very much for the reply, Sanford. I wanted to make sure I understood so I could respond to the request I received. Looking forward to the blog post. Enjoy your time away!

Bala_Subramany1
Level 2

Is there any documents to integrate google lead forms to Marketo yet ?

Looking forward to the blog post 

TPG_Engineer_Ro
Level 1

Hi, Sanford! Curious to know if you could share the link to this blog post? I just had a client ask about this. Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

Ping me in a couple of weeks...

CTsui
Level 1

Hi, Sanford,

Could you share the link to this blog post? 

Thank you so much!