Creating a New Lead from a Converted Lead/Contact

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a New Lead from a Converted Lead/Contact

I want to know how to automatically create a new lead record for when converted leads or contacts reraise their hand for more info on a product.  Or if there is a way to put a New Lead status on a conact so that it appears in sales' lead view that would work. Any ideas?
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Creating a New Lead from a Converted Lead/Contact

Hey Rebecca,

Depending on your process, it might be better to use Create Task from a trigger campaign rather than creating a duplicate.  If you're using SFDC integration, it is possible to force a new lead to be created from a contact.  To do so, you would need to have a queue set up in SFDC for this purpose, and then you would need to use the Sync Lead to SFDC flow step, and then select Assign to this new queue.  This will create a new duplicate lead record in SFDC from your contact record.
Edward_Masson
Level 10

Further to Kenny comment,
Customize your SFDC Task to include values from your Lead Status. This will help with reporting to see all tasks with status of MQLs, SALs etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have perennially struggled with the issue of contacts requesting more information and sales not being in the mind set to check contact views. 

I highly recommend against creating a secondary lead on an existing contact which could create to duplicate issues and lead assignment rule issues.  I recommend adding a "status" to the contact record and timed sales alert emails based on how long a contact sits at that status.  In Marketo you could then build email notifications to send out  1 day, 3 day, and even 5 day alerts reminding the rep to follow up with the contact.  With each email notification I cced the reps manager and even the CEO to make sure the rep followed up on requests from contacts. 

This help article shows how to build sales alerts: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000L7ciCAC
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our sales team hasn't adopted the notifications as alerts they need to take action on. We were thinking about updating the lead owner to one person anytime anyone fills out key forms and have them do some digging and reassign the contact to the correct lead owner.  This will then assure these existing contacts aren't ignored.

What is the best practice for making sure that follow-ups occur for exisisting records?  And how can we run Salesforce reports on new inbounds that already exist as records?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebecca - I know this post is quite old now, but I'm curious to know what you ended up doing here. I'm running into a similar problem as we are implementing Lead Method, which will be integrated with SFDC. Lead Method and SFDC are set up great to route new LEADS to our salespeople and/or external reps/distributors. However, it's not as streamlined for CONTACTS. One proposed solution for dealing with CONTACTS who reach MQL was to create a new LEAD if a CONTACT went MQL. Then, our sales team would convert the LEAD to an opportunity, which triggers Lead Method to act, and merge to the existing CONTACT. Clearly there is a duplicate records issue here at least temporarily. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled about this idea, but wondering if you learned something along the way that could help us. Any insight is much appreciated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jay- i have the same answer too and will re-ask it to the community to see if anyone can get to us:) Ill tag you:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

not sure why i can't tag you, but here is my question

Updating status of a converted lead