SOLVED

Creating Tokens for Emails

Go to solution
Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Creating Tokens for Emails

I am wondering how I would go about creating a campaign with one email going to a list. But some of the sentences will change depending on the location of the lead.

For example, a lead in NJ receiving an email at 12pm, will have a sentence that says: I hope you have a great afternoon!

While a lead in CA receives the same email at 9am, but instead their sentence will say: Good Morning, hope you're day is off to a great start!

and so on....

Is this possible?  If so, how?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creating Tokens for Emails

Hi Danielle,

this falls under "dynamic content". You can achieve that in a few ways, basically by segmentation/snippets or emails script tokens. But in any case, your database needs to be able to support this, meaning you need to have values for every contact in "City" or "State" or "Time Zone" or whatever information you might want to base your logic on.

If you go with email scripts - which I consider usually to be a little easier - you might end up with something like this in an email script token:

#if(${lead.State} == "California")

#set($hello_line = "I hope you have a great afternoon!")

and place $hello_line in your email.

But I'd advise to search this place here for Dynamic Content and dig into it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Danielle,

this falls under "dynamic content". You can achieve that in a few ways, basically by segmentation/snippets or emails script tokens. But in any case, your database needs to be able to support this, meaning you need to have values for every contact in "City" or "State" or "Time Zone" or whatever information you might want to base your logic on.

If you go with email scripts - which I consider usually to be a little easier - you might end up with something like this in an email script token:

#if(${lead.State} == "California")

#set($hello_line = "I hope you have a great afternoon!")

and place $hello_line in your email.

But I'd advise to search this place here for Dynamic Content and dig into it.

Danielle_Wong

Okay, thanks Michael for the valuable information. I will look into more information on Dynamic Content and hopefully be able to implement it in my emails. Very exciting to learn new things in Marketo!

Thanks again!

Danielle_Wong

When creating a new snippet, for some reason I do not have the Insert Elements section shown in the screenshot. I only have the Segmentation section. Any ideas why this may be?

Danielle_Wong

Also, I created snippets, but how do I link those snippets to a segment?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The segmentation is done within the snippet.  For example, we use one snippet for our email footer and the content is dynamic based on country.  Also, the screenshot you attached above is the older interface.  There are no "insert elements" anymore since the token element is now placed on the editor's toolbar.

pastedImage_0.png

Danielle_Wong

Okay, thanks for letting me know about the updated interface!

Is your screenshot of a snippet?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes

Danielle_Wong

Okay, i still think i'm missing a piece of the puzzle with the snippets and segmentation stuff.

But i do appreciate your help, Dan!