Create Duplicate Leads via Webhook

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Create Duplicate Leads via Webhook

I wouldn't rely solely on triggers while testing (even if the production need is for a trigger).  You need to be able to go back and run a Smart List of people who performed a certain action, especially when trying to track down "lost" leads.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not even a smart list can collect any of the leads. I'm thinking the webhook itself as a solution to create duplicate leads is not valid.

SanfordWhiteman

I'm pretty sure it does work. All it's doing is a form post.  So if this didn't work, that would mean a Change Data Value doesn't work at all to create dupes.  Are you seeing a merge instead?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well at this point I can't even get a valid return anymore. Keeps timing out on me.

SanfordWhiteman

Change to http://localhost/...

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK got the webhook to call correctly again, but looks like it's just not creating a new lead which I can find. Do you know of any other purposeful duplicate creation workflows that are more reliable?

I heard possibly using salesforce queues. Marketo support suggested changing my instance deduplication rules, which im hesitant to do so as I haven't gotten full clarity into what changes would actually be made.

SanfordWhiteman

Definitely w/queues.  Not my area of expertise but Josh Hill​ has links and much knowledge on that.

But this still doesn't follow for me.  As we both know, all you're doing is posting a form with the special EmailAddressTemp filled out.  That form post can't just go into the ether or it would point to a wider issue.  Can you have the webhook set another field to something identifiable, say LastName = "{0000-0000-0000}" and search on that?  And you can also hard-code the email address to something identifiable.  The main goal should be for you to figure out what is happening as a result of the form post, regardless of the later trickery with the flow and data value.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, i will try and work towards finding this issue with the form post per your suggestions. Thanks as always for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford Whiteman​ I figured out what was going on. In the original post, I copied the webhook as he built via the pictures and instructions. What i ended up noticing was that in the post the formid = the 4 numbers of the form. When i set my formid in the webhook to = mktoForm_2903 everything worked as inteded.

Such a small change, but DARN frustrating to figure out. Thanks for the guidance!

SanfordWhiteman

That's a pretty weird fix. 

All other webhooks that do loopback form posts use formid=nnnn, like the one described underMarketo Webhooks With Marketo API​ which we just got working a day ago. And a client-side form post clearly just sends the integer id.

If this requirement has changed it is a dramatic, undocumented, breaking change.