SOLVED

Correct Flow Steps - Subscriber Acquisition

Go to solution
Dan_Askin
Level 4

Correct Flow Steps - Subscriber Acquisition

So we transferred several hundred thousand leads to Marketo just over a year ago. The vast majority do not have an 'acquisition program'. We run contests -- ticket giveaways, exclusive experiences, etc. -- frequently. There's a healthy mix of existing subs and new folks entering. Many of the existing subs do not have an acquisition program/date. My question:

How should I be setting up a form completion flow that updates a lead's acquisition program and time only if they are new? Is it as simple as using 'if created at is blank, then make acquisition program X' (plus change data values unsub=false, various lists=true)?

Thanks,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Correct Flow Steps - Subscriber Acquisition

This is a standard flow step that's included with every one of our smart campaigns where success can be achieved.   It ensures that all engagement from here on out will be attributed to that program if AP is empty.  Unfortunately, you need to hard-code in the program name as the new program tokens can't be used for system fields like "Acquisition Program"

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13

For existing leads, you can dump them into a special Acquisition Program. Many firms use a Sales Generated or SFDC Acquisition for net new that get created in SFDC first.

For net new forms, each acquisition page should have a Program that acquires the lead and manages acquisition stamping. So each contest should be a new program. This will ensure FT and MT is recorded properly.

Dan_Askin
Level 4

Thanks, Josh. For sure, each contest is its own program. My question speaks more to the proper flow steps moving forward. Below is what I'm working with. I'm actually not sure I need both the program status and interesting moment changes, but #3 is the crux. I only want to update the lead's acquisition program/acquisition date if she's new. If she exists, we simply ID them as a form completer.

contest flow steps.png

Josh_Hill13

see Dan's post above.

IM is not required for acquisition attribution.

Technically, Marketo is supposed to mark Acquisition at Program Status, however, it is best to do what Dan suggests.

Dan_Stevens_

This is a standard flow step that's included with every one of our smart campaigns where success can be achieved.   It ensures that all engagement from here on out will be attributed to that program if AP is empty.  Unfortunately, you need to hard-code in the program name as the new program tokens can't be used for system fields like "Acquisition Program"

pastedImage_0.png

Dan_Askin
Level 4

Thanks, Dan. So using that approach won't give an existing lead a new acquisition program he shouldn't have?

Dan_Stevens_

It will give ANY lead the first acquisition program that they engage with now that you have this additional way of populating exisitng leads that have no acquisition program.  While it may not be the true AP - since they're already in Marketo - it at least gets them attributed to a program.  Alternatively, you can just create a new program - similar to what some companies do to support list acquisition/purchase - and attribute all those historical leads with that single program.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

Thank you for these instructions. Following them, I actually realized that my problem is that "Acquisition Program Name" in Marketo is not synced with "Acquisition Program" in SalesForce, even thought the mapping seems to be done correctly:

pastedImage_0.png

Lead:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

Any idea on how I can solve this?

Thank you,

Emilia

Dan_Stevens_

Hi Emilia - Unfortunately, I can't help you here.  We don't use SFDC (we use MS Dynamics).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer!

I might open a new thread, as I really much want to find out what happens.

Have a great week,

Emilia

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Dan Stevens <marketingnation@marketo.com>