SOLVED

Re: Constraining leads entering flow when using global emails

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Constraining leads entering flow when using global emails

Hi All,

Wondering if someone can share some knowledge.

I have a program that references global emails. This program is cloned many thousands of times and is used to manage events.

One of the trigger campaigns uses the following triggers/filters: Clicks link in email/member of program.

pastedImage_0.png

I know that this combination is flawed as if a lead attends more than one event this combination will fire for all events.

Im trying to think how to constrain leads from entering the flow when they click a link in a global email thats related to the program it originated from.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hey Matthew Varone​,

I would use #{{program.id}} at the end of the link in question and then you can set up your trigger to reference the specific ID of the program you are interested in. Data following the "#" will appear in the clicked link activity unlike a querystring param.

Test_Universal_Email.jpg

link activity.jpg

Marketo___Test_Trigger__Smart_List__•_Marketing_Activities.jpg

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto​

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Erik_Heldebro2
Level 8

Hi Matthew,

I could see this getting a little tough with global emails for events instead of them being a part of your program template, but maybe you can use a combination of filters which would include the right leads:

pastedImage_0.png

1. Member of the Smart Campaign (in your program template) that sent this global email

2. Was sent the email in the past x days (to exclude anyone from an older event)

3. Member of program for your event template with the correct program status/statuses for those who would be sent this email.

Again this may exclude or even still include some leads if they have registered for events but theres not many other options for referring to a global email that's related to a specific cloned event program.

/Erik

Justin_Norris1

Hey Matthew Varone​,

I would use #{{program.id}} at the end of the link in question and then you can set up your trigger to reference the specific ID of the program you are interested in. Data following the "#" will appear in the clicked link activity unlike a querystring param.

Test_Universal_Email.jpg

link activity.jpg

Marketo___Test_Trigger__Smart_List__•_Marketing_Activities.jpg

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto​

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Justin,

Justin Norris Thanks for that. quite cleaver. From what I can see we would need to manually set the trigger to look for the program ID? This may become quite intensive with the volume of programs we are cloning.

Erik Heldebro​ thanks for your suggestion, I have added the date constraint. This will prevent a significant amount of false positives, although its not a perfect solution as there will still be room for error.

Thanks guys for weighing in.

Justin_Norris1

Matthew Varone

You are correct - that is one drawback of this approach.

The only truly set-it-and-forget it method in this case would be to use a local asset, the reference to which should update dynamically upon cloning. 

Of course you lose the benefit of asset globalization and the easy maintenance that brings.

I would weigh up how often you need to change that asset and how many active programs would be affected vs. the effort of updating that campaign manually each time. Also keeping in mind there is currently no way to edit smart campaigns via API. 

Given that I know a bit of your business context here, I would say you may need to go for local assets if you want this to be bulletproof.

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto​