Re: Constantly finding faults with Marketo

Conor_Fitzpatri
Level 6

I agree that most deliverability issues are self-inflicted and admit that we contributed to some of our own problems. The lack of official support in diagnosing the issue is my chief compliant. We moved to the preferred sender ip range, yet issues still persist. As for a dedicated ip, our email volume is too low to qualify for one. Currently, we only use Marketo to communicate with our customers (with plans to expand to inbound marketing in Q1 17) so our list is clean.

Marketo is a great tool with an outstanding community, but my experience with getting official support on such a critical issue has been less than stellar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh, the dedicated IP is not about the cost - we don't send enough to keep it "warm", so it would be wasted. Our list is clean, it's other people who are on the same IP as us that are causing the issue. I understand everyone will have some problems with their lists at some point, but as said above repeatedly, it's Marketo's refusal to acknowledge the problem that is the issue. Especially as prevalent as it seems to be based on this thread, you'd think they would at least know how to resolve the issue. Instead, I spent a month going back and forth with them arguing about my SPF/DKIM setup.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yeah, I get it. I've had the same run around because SPF/DKIM is the standard script for new setups and the top support people only get on big accounts. Par for the course at any firm.

Global Executive Leadership Team - Marketo

Contact Alan Banks: Alan Banks Appointed Managing Director for EMEA at Marketo /PR Newswire UK/   find the UK number here

Contact Information & Global Office Locations - Marketo

and ask to speak with him directly, if you haven't yet. I don't mean to be condescending, but you may want to bring in the highest person on your side to make it clear to Alan how serious you are.

I don't know the regular escalation path for Marketo UK. I know a couple of local experts if you wanted to hire them.

Usually if I get the right people on the phone, my problem is solved by Engineering in these atypical cases.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh, appreciate the info. I am the highest person on my side - I'm the one who signed off the purchase, and I'm the one who has to be accountable for this product to my board, hence my anger.

I appreciate the offer for local experts, paid for help, etc., but I shouldn't have to resort to outside consultancy to just get a product running at it's basic function level. I understand there are more complicated aspects of Marketo that may benefit from a more experienced person behind the wheel when setting up, but to sell something that can't even send a bloody email - that's pretty poor. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Regina,

If you don't sustain the volume for a dedicated IP, but your company has good marketing opt-in practices, etc., you can ask to move to a Trusted IP. These are IPs shared by customers who have exhibited good sending behavior and they tend to have better reputation and deliverability. There are a few minor requirements but it's free of cost. Just ask your support or implementation person and they can give you the form to complete.

Kristen

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

That second bullet point though

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your contribution Jenn

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

I've worked at three companies where this happened with me. It wasn't directed at you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers Conor, good luck with the website redesign - possibly the only thing more frustrating than Marketo

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you have other issues with the system, we can help, as Jessica suggests. If you are having challenges with the Community, Liz Courter​ can help here.

You may also want to look at the many agencies out there for free help on their blogs or to consider having an expert guide the implementation. There are right ways, and wrong ways to do this. Marketo is a very free form workflow tool, so it can easily become complex if not designed well. They leave a lot up to you. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find it is very powerful.