Re: Constantly finding faults with Marketo

Joe_Reitz
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I know that feel. But capitalism .

Unfortunately, you gotta pay to play, my friend. I think it's been documented elsewhere (maybe even somewhere in the above dumpster fire), but there are some good practical/logistical reasons why Marketo doesn't just include them. That said, if your rep isn't crying in his 500 sqft apartment under the stairs after your renewal, you didn't negotiate hard enough

If it doesn't look cool, you're probably doing it wrong.
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Regina,

What do you mean by "faults" ?

There is no reason why you should not be able to send emails. Some of our customer produce thousands of emails per year, each of them being sent to literally tens of thousands of contacts/leads.

There are some annoying hitches in Marketo, as I listed a while ago here: Just do it! Marketo so-called minor missing features , and there is surely room for improvement (give a look to the ideas section) but honestly nothing that prevents the work to be done.

Have you had enough training? Help from Marketo real consultant (someone with real experience)?

When migrating from other MAP, the logic of Marketo can be a little difficult to get. Especially the complete separation between assets (emails, forms, landing pages) and actions (smart campaigns), which makes it very different form most of the other solutions on the market, but also so much more flexible.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Faults as in problems that prevent me from using it as it is being marketed. The biggest problem preventing me from sending was detailed above has hopefully been fixed now, but only after countless hours of emails and phone calls.

No, I probably haven't had enough training, as I can't access the University portal to receive extra training, and they don't seem to be bothered by that... My consultant has been fab when it comes to best practices, but the technical issues (obviously not her remit) have been the things plaguing me.

It's not the actual practical use of Marketo I'm struggling with - it's actual technical errors that seem to be prolific across the platform.

Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Regina,

I'm really sorry you have had such a difficult time getting up and running.  There are some nuances with Marketo, but I've been using it for many years and sent out millions of emails by now and it does work.  I know some things can be frustrating, but the community is a place to get help and you are not alone.  Also you should check out your local Marketo User Group.  That's how I learned most everything, by befriending folks there as well.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I experienced similar issues. My company has been with Marketo for a few months and all of our initial email sends had poor deliverability due to the IP address. We were able to get switched to a better IP address and that resolved the issue. Also experienced similar issues as you with the ability to setup support tickets. One day I could set up tickets and the next day I couldn't. The issue finally got resolved.

The support ticket issue was minor; not being able to deliver emails to customers was a huge issue. Thankfully both are now resolved. Hopefully Marketo is watching and considers making changes to their on-boarding of new customers since we have faced similar issues.

Vlada_Prasolova
Level 5

we've been with marketo for 5 years, but recent email performance is a disaster, indeed. It took marketo 2,5 hour to send a relatively easy-to-set batch blast for 250k that we've been sending monthly since 2013

What did the support said? - Oh, it's normal, we don't see any problems there

Ayan_Talukder
Level 5

When our company first on boarded Marketo, we were experiencing the same deliverability issues with Marketo. The shared IP address was blacklisted by many of our customers. With a ton of back and forth, we were able to get a dedicated IP address which solved our issue completely.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Ayan, good to know I'm not alone in this, but disappointing that it seems to be such a common problem, and yet still takes so much work to a) convince them of the problem and b) have them suggest a solution.

Ayan_Talukder
Level 5

You are absolutely right, Marketo has been growing at an exponential rate the last several years. I feel like with the overwhelming demand from customers, it is impairing their customer service. I hope this is a focus point for them for the next fiscal year.

Luis_Paez3
Level 3

I also get frustrated by functionality that I think should work better but (at the time) just does not.  Most of us marketo admins share that pain from time to time. I've discovered that thoroughly searching the community for posts from others who have had that problem often leads me in the right direction to a solution (whether it be on my (admin) end or Marketo's (provider) end of things).  Also, I've had success filing support tickets early on in my troubleshooting and getting good direction from support on technical issues for a faster issue resolution.

All that being said, I still haven't seen a product that blends a powerful feature set and an easy to use UI as well as Marketo has done. So at the end of the day, I'm still a fan (just a sometimes frustrated one).