Complaint. Why is Symbol a font?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Complaint. Why is Symbol a font?!

Why is Symbol a font?!  There I was, looking for a font that mirrored the font a Manager uses in his personal email, and when I chose "Symbol", the font looked perfect!  After sending 5,000 emails to our audience, low and behold, I found that typing in what appeared to be text GETS TRANSLATED into silly symbols.  I guess us Marketing pro's need to presume that Marketo is catering to the teenage audience?  In Microsoft, if you select Weblings font, or something similar, the silly symbols populate WHEN YOU TYPE them, and that's the way it should be in Marketo.

ADD A BUTTON in the Email Editor top bar to add symbols!  

3 REPLIES 3
Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Re: Complaint. Why is Symbol a font?!

In my experience, symbols are notorious for doing crazy things in emails (with any email sending service, not just Marketo) and it's best to type them in manually using their alt codes. It would be great, though, if Marketo allowed us to click a button instead.

Also, if you're copying and pasting out of Word, it's best to paste into Notepad first to strip out any additional formatting before pasting the text into any rich text editor. This will also help with any random symbols.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your support, Jennifer.  I see your point about copying and pasting.  It's a riddle because I actually typed the email message in Marketo's email editor with Symbol as the font and it came out legible... until I sent it to our sales leads   [I copy pasted this response text and changed the font to symbol just to further prove the issue.  I can still read it, but I'm guessing when I click Add Reply, it will turn into squiggly lines]

Thanks for your support, Jennifer.  I see your point about copying and pasting.  It's a riddle because I actually typed the email message in Marketo's email editor with Symbol as the font and it came out legible... until I sent it to our sales leads

Anonymous
Not applicable

...or maybe not.  marketing automation continual improvement pains