Communication Limits Ignored as Default???

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Communication Limits Ignored as Default???

Thanks Cheryl.  Our next cast is next Tuesday.  My test email was blocked from the first cast last Tuesday due to exceeding our communication limits we set.  So I should receive email #1 while everyone else receives email #2.  I'll keep you (and Support, if needed) posted based on the outcome.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, please do!
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Cheryl - I just wanted to share back that the cast that was sent out today, sent me the first email that I skipped last week due to my communication limits.  So it's working as expected!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be warned! If you have dupes in Marketo, communication limits are ignored. Just got this back from Marketo support when I contacted them about a larg chunk of my database gettiing 2 emails in a row:

Currently, Communication Limits in Marketo are set up on a lead basis, and not an email basis. If there are multiple leads in the database with the same email address, they will both be able to receive one email per day. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another scary fact errupted yesterday in relation to this - You can have dupe leads with same email go through your nurture at the same time. So the same email will get email 1 and email 4 on the same day. And the entire nurture stream will be repeated to the same email. No way around it. Support has no workaround so Im freaking out a bit 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Christina,

This is actually not true.  Leads are de-duped before they enter into the Engagement programs, so you should never have duplicate leads receiving content in the streams.  No need to freak out.  If you saw this happen, then it's a bug.

Cheryl
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not everyone uses engagement programs for nurture. We dont because they dont work for us due to the cadence restrcitions on sending emails on different days at different times. So our engagement program points to a smart campaign. Your support team told me that leads with same email can all enter the same smart campaign at different times. This happened with several of our leads yesterday and it was confirmed not a bug and not a fix on your roadmap. 

Until your engagement program gives marketers the ability to send emails at different intervals, it wont work (for example, I want to send email 1, then send email 2 5 days later, email 3 10 days later etc.). You force to send every x days straight across the board which is just not a good way to nurture at all.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to mention it;s a huge pain the butt to move all our nurtures to an engagement program. Esp since you cant move content around. I would have to clone, re-name, remove, un-approve, etc. about 200 assets. So we are sticking with our nurture the way it was before engagement programs existed. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another discovery after dealing with Marketo support for another 'funk'. The aggregate # of emails a lead is sent takes about 20 mins to calculate. So let's say you send a webinar invite and your nurture is kicking off 9 minutes later. (and you couldnt possibly know this since you have SO much going on as it is just as I do) The person would get both emails in the same day because the Marketo system is not looking at the webinar invite sent until 20 mins. later and by that time, your nurture email has gone out. Still trying to understand the point of communication limits when they dont seem to work for a lot of situations....