Communication Limit Bypassed for Engagement program - Emails were non-operational..

Jeremy_Nunez
Level 2

Communication Limit Bypassed for Engagement program - Emails were non-operational..

Hi all,

Has anyone had an issue with the system communication limit in Marketo being bypassed for Engagement Programs? My team just experience an issue where our weekly nurture program double sent on back-to-back days. The 7 day limit should have been triggered, and was triggered for other email programs, but it didn't work. I checked that none of the emails in the nurture stream were operational so at this point I'm thinking it was a system error.

6 REPLIES 6
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Communication Limit Bypassed for Engagement program - Emails were non-operational..

Jeremy,

The limit should not have been bypassed. Were the emails sent out through the actual streams or smart campaigns local to the engagement program? Also note that the 7 day limit means that no more emails will be sent if the lead has already received their maximum within the last 7 days, not a Sun - Sat cycle.

More info: Enable Communication Limits - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

Josh_Hill13

Re: Communication Limit Bypassed for Engagement program - Emails were non-operational..

There is a known edge case where if you had several emails to send within a 1-3 hour period, the Engagement Comms Limits may not have enough time to realize that the Limit exists. I've had this occur since we have several Engagements go out within 1 hour of each other and some people were getting more than 1 email per day because they were in multiple Engagements.

Jeremy_Nunez
Level 2

Hi Devraj,

They were sent through actual engagement streams. The program icon is a tree/plant looking thing. I looked at the activity log for leads that were affected and last month the communication limit was not bypassed. It looks like something changed in March with how the system views limits for engagement programs. Do you know of a contact at market that would be able to help us?

Devraj_Grewal

Jeremy,

What is your communication limit for 7 days now? Can you verify it wasn't changed by going to Admin > Communications Limits and making sure "Block non-operational emails:" is set to "Yes"?

If you've verified all you can on your end, then it is possible it is a Support issue, you can open a case or chat with Marketo by navigating to Support .

Jeremy_Nunez
Level 2

Devraj,

I think I will open a ticket. I'm waiting to confirm the admin view (I do not have that view unfortunately), but I'm very confident it is set to block non-operational emails because we sent other emails last week through an engagement program and both in the activity log view of leads/ the setup view of the email program I can see that the emails had reached a limit/the program is set to skip emails if it reaches the limit.

Thank you for your help.

Jeremy_Nunez
Level 2

Figured it out.  We had 2 emails per week that were allowed in the admin section and the block non-operational emails setting was turned off. Thanks!