SOLVED

Client has no Internet Access, only Intranet

Go to solution
Adrian_Radu1
Level 1

Client has no Internet Access, only Intranet

Hello Marketo Community,

We have an issue with one of our clients that do not give internet access to their employees, due to security reasons.

We`re sending a weekly newsletter to their employees and would need to know what we need to request

or to give our client (ip address, ports that need to be open on their side) so that we would receive the reports on the emails.

The client is willing to help us give some permissions in their network but not a full internet access.

Also the reporting for these newsletters is very important.

I already know that only by clicking Download Images the action for Open Email comes in Marketo, but I would need some advice

on where to request our client to permit access.

Any other advice is well received

Thank you and have a great day!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Client has no Internet Access, only Intranet

Give the link, specifically, to your branding domain. That will allow the Opened Email activity to be logged. It would also allow the Clicked Email activity to be logged, but unless the target of the link (possibly your Marketo LP domain, possibly your corporate domain, but also possibly any URL) is also allowed by their security team, they won't actually follow the link to the original destination.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Karan_Hari3
Level 9

Hi Adrian Radu​ ,

Although your clients employees cannot access the internet, I have seen cases, where internet access is restricted, but Mail exchange servers are most certainly connected and the employees have the ability to receive emails. Can you confirm if the news letters that you are sending through Marketo, can be received by your clients employees? What sort of email system is set up for their employees and can they receive any email at all? As long as the emails are being received by your clients employees, the Email Performance Report in Marketo should be able to give insights on opens and clicks as well.

This article sheds light on how Marketo emails are sent and tracked. This could help answer few of your questions- How Marketo Tracks Email Activity .

Best Always,

Karan Hari

Karan Hari
Senior Product Manager - Marketo Engage
Adrian_Radu
Level 1

Hello Karan,

Thank you for your fast reply,

I can confirm the newsletters are being received. They can receive any kind of email, but since their Intranet does not approve the download of the images, we do not receive the Open Email status.

They keep telling us that we need to give them an ip address or some ports that need to be open for them to be able to receive those images.

They have Port 25 open for the emails to flow through, but I thought that maybe there are some other ideas of what I can suggest my client.

SanfordWhiteman

They keep telling us that we need to give them an ip address or some ports that need to be open for them to be able to receive those images.

HTTP and HTTPS to your branding domain, obviously.

Adrian_Radu
Level 1

Branding domain is also their domain. DKIM and SPF are verified on that certain domain in Marketo.

I`m not sure i understand "HTTP and HTTPS to your branding domain, obviously."

Can you please give me more details?

Thank you!

SanfordWhiteman

This has nothing to do with SPF nor with DKIM.

The open-tracking pixel loads from your branding domain. I'm very surprised you didn't know this if you've been working on this goal.

Adrian_Radu
Level 1

So, from my understanding until now I will give them just the links to my Marketo instance?

Or the link that they end up when clicking "View this email in your browser" ?

Or i didn`t understand clearly and maybe I need some clarifications?

Thank you again!

SanfordWhiteman

Give the link, specifically, to your branding domain. That will allow the Opened Email activity to be logged. It would also allow the Clicked Email activity to be logged, but unless the target of the link (possibly your Marketo LP domain, possibly your corporate domain, but also possibly any URL) is also allowed by their security team, they won't actually follow the link to the original destination.

Adrian_Radu1
Level 1

Thank you! I`ll try this with their IT team and hopefully it will work

Have a great weekend !