SOLVED

Clicks Link in Email trigger

Go to solution
Lisa_Docter
Level 2

Clicks Link in Email trigger

Hi,

I'm trying to send an alert email to a sales person if someone clicks two or more email links in an engagement program.  Would like to have them click a link in two different emails but not sure that's possible. I have a progression set up as follows with all eight emails in the "email is" section.  Will this work as I'm intending it to work?  Any other ideas?

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Clicks Link in Email trigger

No, that won't work.

You need 8 pairs of filters (16 total). Each pair is like

Clicked Link in <specific email>

Clicked Link in <all others but that specific email>

Then your Advanced Filters are

(1 AND 2) OR (3 AND 4) OR ...

But you should be very aware of mail scanners clicking your emails, not humans.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

No, that won't work.

You need 8 pairs of filters (16 total). Each pair is like

Clicked Link in <specific email>

Clicked Link in <all others but that specific email>

Then your Advanced Filters are

(1 AND 2) OR (3 AND 4) OR ...

But you should be very aware of mail scanners clicking your emails, not humans.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Sandford is spot on with his logic, but another way to do it which may avoid some of those bot clicks would be to use the web page activity instead of the email click itself. 

For example, if you tag your links with google analytics tracking (which you should if you don't), you can use the "visited web page" filter, with a constraint of querystring contains, and drop in your UTM campaign or content IDs for each email asset like this: 

2019-08-26_9-32-03.png

So this is using web page views and you have pairs of logic like Sandford has. Filters 1 and 2 are using email 1's tracking code, and and any other pageview with email 2-n's tracking code. Filters 3 and 4 are using email 2's tracking code, and any other pageview with email 1, 3-n's tracking codes. Hope that makes sense. 

This isn't perfect either, bots can still trigger the web page view. But in my own personal experience, this does filter a large amount of 'fake' clicks, even if itself is not fool proof. 

Sasha_Cabell1
Level 1

Hi Chris, I set this structure up this week for a nurture stream where I am trying to advance members who click in at least two emails into a different nurture program. I just built a smartlist to make sure Marketo was tracking the tagged pages views and the smartlist isn't pulling any people despite the fact that a number of people have clicked the link. Any thoughts what might've gone wrong?

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Hi Sasha!

Can you share some screenshots and elaborate on the scenario you're trying to make occur? If you're using the method I outlined above with the web page view instead of the click activity, please send example URLs that your emails are pushing to on your website so we can QA the smartlist rules!

Thanks,

Chris

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Lisa,

I always set up my engagement programs with each piece of content in its own default program. Within that content program, membership is managed at the level of member, clicked, converted or something along those lines. With this structure in place, you can send your alert triggering off the second program status change to clicked, ensuring that your second click is in a different email than the first.

patrickmurray
Level 2

Hi Katja, could you elaborate on this setup with some screenshots please?