SOLVED

Re: Click through's not being logged

Go to solution
Nora_Slattery3
Level 4

Click through's not being logged

Hi Guys,

I recently ran a campaign recently with a much higher percentage of people who have clicked thecorrect link in the email but not gone on to being tracked as having hit the web page.

I understand that there are many reasons for this including private browsing, cookies disabled, clicking the link but not actually going to the page, java disabled and I do understand that this campaign was targetting more techy people who are more likely to meet these criteria.

I'm curious if anyone has recommendations about how to improve our knowledge of why this specific campaign had such a high rate in comparison to others?

Warm regards,
Nora Slattery
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming that is an external webpage, it is still tracked. 

The way the URL and page name are captured are sligthly different from Marketo landing pages and that may clarify why smart lists are not reflecting the activity.

Assuming a page
Marketo would record the external page as

Webpage URL:  my_external_page
Query Parameters:  tracking=MunchkinAPI&test=001
Referrer URL:  http://localhost/test1.html 

where my_external_page was the name I provided in the Munchkin API's function, called as

<s c r i p t src="http://munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin.js" type="text/javascript"></s c r i p t> 
<s c r i p t> 
mktoMunchkin("000-000-000"); 
mktoMunchkinFunction('visitWebPage', { 
url: 'my_external_page', params: 'tracking=MunchkinAPI&test=001' 
}); 

The default tracking works as well. Marketo will capture the URL and optional query parameters. 

*** Please note "script" is a single word without spaces. I have added spaces to avoid the system interpreting as tag ***

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming that is an external webpage, it is still tracked. 

The way the URL and page name are captured are sligthly different from Marketo landing pages and that may clarify why smart lists are not reflecting the activity.

Assuming a page
Marketo would record the external page as

Webpage URL:  my_external_page
Query Parameters:  tracking=MunchkinAPI&test=001
Referrer URL:  http://localhost/test1.html 

where my_external_page was the name I provided in the Munchkin API's function, called as

<s c r i p t src="http://munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin.js" type="text/javascript"></s c r i p t> 
<s c r i p t> 
mktoMunchkin("000-000-000"); 
mktoMunchkinFunction('visitWebPage', { 
url: 'my_external_page', params: 'tracking=MunchkinAPI&test=001' 
}); 

The default tracking works as well. Marketo will capture the URL and optional query parameters. 

*** Please note "script" is a single word without spaces. I have added spaces to avoid the system interpreting as tag ***

Nora_Slattery3
Level 4

Thank you!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bgomes Your mention of "params: 'tracking=MunchkinAPI&test=001' " is interesting to me because I am looking for the parameter names to be slapped into a URL so that Marketo/Munchkin can track an IMG.

Do you know?  Or can you point me to an API reference that shows parameters for direct web acces (no JS required)?  Thanks.

Obviously, the primary method (script tags) are not applicable inside an image.

The three fields I am most interested in sending to the lead database in this way are: 
user email
user name
comment

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Direct access is not allowed. Leads are sent to Marketo either through SOAP API or Munchkin JavaScript API.

I used the latter for my example. You can comfortably pass any parameters such user email, user name and content. It would be something like params: 'Email=user_email&User=user_name&Comment=user_comment' where user_email, user_name and user_comment are variables taken from a form, cookie or another source.

The Munchkin JS API call visitWebPage allows to pass any parameter. That is an interesting contrast to associateLead, requiring matching fields in the lead database. You can use those parameters for smart campaigns.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bgomes Thank you for taking the time to respond but maybe I did not communicate clearly that the goal is to track the user's activity/visit even when their javascript is disabled.  

I did take a look at the SOAP API as a possibility, and it looks horrendously over-complicated.  Maybe I just have yet to find the "straightforward" version of that, but... why all the complexity?  I see no reason why the same params being used already for JS calls couldn't also be tacked onto an image URL and bam! we have something that works in a noscript tag.  

This would allow us to reliably track people who disable javascript, automated spidering tools that don't understand javascript, etc.  PE FTW!

Anonymous
Not applicable

The vast majority of tracking techniques rely on JavaScript.
That is valid for Marketo, Google Analytics and the likes.

Private browsing/incognito, JavaScript disabled and, more drastic anonymous browsing, are still not widely adopted.

Offloading server tasks to the web browsers is still a clever approach. In my humble opinion that is going to change in order to tackle enforced corporate settings, users' attitudes and behaviours.