SOLVED

Click Link in Email Results - Not a Link in the Email?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Click Link in Email Results - Not a Link in the Email?

Looking at the Results tab of a recent email activity, I show a number of Click Link results for URLs that weren't in the email we sent.  Is there any reason why my email activity's results would include data about links leads clicked that weren't in the email they received?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Click Link in Email Results - Not a Link in the Email?

Depends on what they clicked. They could click an email address to send an email to who the email was sent from. In that case, there wouldn't be a subsequent web page. Or if they click a link that takes them to a web page that is not your own, like a partners, then that will not show up either. You will see the click link, but it will end there. But if they do click a link that takes them to something on your own website, then yes, it will show.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Shaina,

No, there shouldn't be. Can you send a screenshot of what you are seeing?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jeff,

Below are the results from one of our emails sent last night.  I see a Click Link for a PDF file, but when I search the email HTML I don't find this PDF link anywhere.

0EM50000000Qez6.jpg

I found more PDF link examples in our email activity results for the distribution to our Italian database; these PDFs are also not linked in the email:

0EM50000000Qf04.jpg

In our German email activity, I found an .aspx link that didn't appear in the original email.  The middle one ending in "MS-9" is not linked anywhere in the email HTML, but the other two are:

0EM50000000Qf0O.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you using dynamic content which may include links that you aren't seeing when you review the content?
Anonymous
Not applicable

These appear to be links on the webpages that are clicked, not links within the emails.  Note in every instance the "click link" follows the "visit web page" activity.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeff
No dynamic content in these emails, other than a snippet at the bottom for regional contact links.

Steven
Is that normal then for these Visit Web Page and Click Link activities to be tracked in the email results?  I would have thought that only Click Email would be relevant, since it is the only action directly associated with the email.

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm started to get this squared away, but just to clarify:  Is it the case that in my email results...

Any lead who performs a Click Email will have a subsequent Visit Web Page activity?

And anyone who clicks a link on the resulting web page will have an additional Click Link activity?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on what they clicked. They could click an email address to send an email to who the email was sent from. In that case, there wouldn't be a subsequent web page. Or if they click a link that takes them to a web page that is not your own, like a partners, then that will not show up either. You will see the click link, but it will end there. But if they do click a link that takes them to something on your own website, then yes, it will show.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting - thanks, Jeff.  I think I understand now.  Thanks for your help!