Re: Checking the data submitted from a form

Jesper_Madsen
Level 1

Checking the data submitted from a form

Hello everybody!

I'm tryin to figure out a way to sent data to Marketo via the forms without having a field for every single piece of data.

My question is quite simple. Is it some how possible to check the form data that was recieved from the form submit in a smartlist? (I wan't to have one hidden field that can contain a lot of different data, so that a trigger can react to it.)

I know it is possible to check the data in the activity log for a single lead, but it would be nice to be able to check the value and use it for triggering.

The reason i don't just check the value for the specifik field is that the value and form submit is not necessarily aligned after the submit.

Hope you guys can help me out πŸ˜„

Jesper Madsen
2 REPLIES 2
Oz_Platero
Level 6

Hello @Jesper_Madsen ,

There are a few ways to accomplish this request.  The course you take may depend on how quickly you need to respond (trigger vs batch), access to a JavaScript developer, etc, etc so I will give you two ideas to start off.

Using tokens in flow steps to populate data in another field. 

Does not require JavaScript knowledge or access to a developer.

Essentially you could trigger off form fill, then in a container field store key value pairs like so:

Product interest : {{lead.Product Interest}}, Something Else: {{lead.Something Else}}

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Append+Data+to+a+Field

There are other considerations to be take afterwards like, but not limited to should that field be cleared out after use.

Option 2 could be to use a hidden field and populate it with JavaScript on the front end.  This also has limitation such as JavaScript being disabled by user will prevent this from working properly. If there are multiple .onValidate() functions on your page already make sure your new update takes that into account and works together properly.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If you're using a field for multiple purposes on different forms , then good practice is to always prepend (using JS of course, as the form context can't be known on the server) the "working title" of the value.  For example, instead of storing "paleo" and trying to figure out what that meant, store the name as well:

dietary preference: paleo

art history period: paleo

But it isn't entirely clear what you mean by "a lot of different data," so please flesh out the entire use case.