Checking for duplicates in a text field

Abe_Gladstone1
Level 1

Checking for duplicates in a text field

Hopefully, someone here has an answer to a problem I have been having.

Currently, I am using the Comment History Method to add information to a text field so that we can keep a running list of all the entries being passed from our API calls.
However, I run into an issue where the new comments being added to the comment history  reflect the same values already existing in the comment history.

Is there a way for me to add new comments to my comment history while making sure that the comment history does not contain any of the values in the new comment? If there is a way for me to identify like values, is there a way for me to make sure it only gets added once?

Example:

New Comment: Blue, Yellow, Green.

Comment History: Orange, Green, Red.

Right now it would add them together to make - Orange, Green, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green. Creating duplicate Green entries.

I would like it to show - Orange, Green, Red, Blue, Yellow. Only counting the green entry once.

Best,

Abe

2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Checking for duplicates in a text field

Probably not unless you can get them to add Regex to your instance.

But if you need this level of complexity, you may want to consider other options. Also, why do you want to not timestamp such data so you can track it better?

Abe_Gladstone1
Level 1

Re: Checking for duplicates in a text field

Thank you for the quick response!

With it being a running list of items, we don't really need a timestamp associated with these comment field values. We are more interested in what they are using rather than when. I do have a timestamp field that is associated with the same API call, so I do have a timestamp that I could use to infer when the data was updated. How that would help me dedupe the text field?

What are the other options?