Channel Question: How Would you Set This Up?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Channel Question: How Would you Set This Up?

Hi there,

We are doing some reworking of our channels, programs and campaign hierarchies in SFDC and have been having a bit of an internal debate on the best setup for a couple of scenarios.  I was hoping to get some input on Scenario 1 and how people have done this within their organisation.

Scenario 1:  Webinar Event
You're looking to host a webinar event for customers and prospects on your new Widget Product for March.   To promote the event you plan on doing a few different things:

1. Email Campaign to Existing Prospects and Customers
Cost: $1000.00

2.  LinkedIn In Message Emails to Targeted List driving to a Landing Page
Cost: $1000.00

3.  Paid Display Advertising on 2 Display Networks:
a.  Local News Site 
b.  Industry Site
Cost:  $1000.00 each site

4.  Paid Search for Widget on Google Adwords
Cost:  $1000.00

Question from the Executives:
1.  What was the impact on this Webinar for Pipeline and Revenue?

Questions from Marketing:
1.  Next time we run a Webinar which channel was most successful and should be repeated?

Please explain how you would set this up in Marketo.  How many programs would you build? What woudl the channels for each program be?   If you use SFDC, what woudl your hierarchy look like?

We've been doing it one way for quite a while now and are able to solve about 75% of the equation, but it seems whenever we lean one way in setup we always have to leave out another part.

Thanks for all of the input!
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Channel Question: How Would you Set This Up?

I'd have one Program Channel, possibly custom Webinar with a Sent/Invited Status.

Inside this Program, I would have a landing page and URL with parameters for each channel used so I could monitor conversion rates and success by lead source.

I would insert the cost of $4000 for the Program.

In SFDC, I would consider the following:
02012013 - Webinar for March
-Email 1
-Email 2
-Linked In

so that the Program is tied to the parent campaign while the others are there to track the individual landing page sources. I agree that this may cause some issues with Opp Primary Campaign Source, but it should allow you to monitor the entire system in a few ways.

To report on your last question, I'd probably pull Lead Source by Landing Page with Opps shown, or in SFDC check on the Opps at the parent level by Lead Source.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the response.

I've seen a couple of problems with what you've proposed from past experiences (and these are the small things that have been doing our heads in as well):

1.  Companies want to measure the ROI on particular channels like paid display, search, social media, etc.  How are they supposed to do this without having a program associated to them?  With a cost?  From a Marketo standpoint if I wanted to track my budget for a particular initiative and it was broken down into those channels (Search, Display, Social Media, and the actual Event cost itself) wouldn't I need programs for each?

To answer the question How Many Leads came in from Social vs. Search vs. Display, etc. etc.

While I understand your idea of Lead Sources, this is typically used for other purposes on clients and only refers to where the Lead is Sourced from, but what about those pre-existing individuals who may have come in from elsewhere and already have a Lead Source?  We can't override Lead Source.

We use custom fields to track the parameters traditionally, but again these are one to one with the record like Lead Source.  Don't we have to have a one to many relationship as someone may be associated with Paid Display today, but Social Media or Search tomorrow with a different campaign.

2.  Not to pile on to the above, but then when it comes to the SFDC Campaign - which looks to be outlined as a Parent/Child relationship, that actually seems on the right track for me.  Everything rolls up, but why wouldn't this be setup like that in Marketo?

ha...and as a bonus question...If you're looking at Campaign Influence on that opp...which campaign gets it?

Thanks for the help...appreciate your insights.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Michael - I struggle with the exact same thing. Did you ever get a good response? Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Laurie,

Nothing really solving it yet.  We use Campaign Hierarchies and multiple Marketo programs to track the above.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Michael! Me too. 
Josh_Hill13

Michael,

I see this thread became more active and I never responded to you (sorry!).

So if you were to do this:

SFDC Parent Campaign Webinar (roll up data only)
-Webinar 0 - registration Program/ attributed to webinar activity itself
-Channel 1
-Channel 2
-Channel 3
-Channel 4

Then inside Marketo, you'd have:

Webinar X Campaign FOLDER (so you can roll up data here)
-Master Webinar Registration
--Channel 1 Program = SFDC Channel 1
--Channel 2 Program = SFDC Channel 2
--Channel 3 Program = SFDC Channel 3
--Channel 4 Program = SFDC Channel 4

Where each program has its own landing page and member status, but then Requests Campaign IS "Master Webinar Registration.Registration Flow" so the lead is registered to the single webinar.

Each program and SFDC Campaign is assigned a Budget and Period Cost.

So now you have an issue where 5 SFDC Campaigns & Programs influence or are possible attributed to an Opp. In Marketo RCA, that shouldn't be a big deal, but in SFDC it is a big deal, so you just have to choose.

You can also decide if you want to Deactivate the 4 child campaigns right after the webinar closes so they are less likely to become attached to Primary Campaign Source or something. I'm not too familiar with how well this works, but it's something I've been considering.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're just coming off the exact same problem - almost every detail is the same as yours Michael. We actually decided on a "best of the worst" course of action prior to stumbling upon this thread, and it's good to know we're not the only ones with this issue. Here's how we plan to do it in MKTO (if our plans change during implementation I'll be sure to come back here and post about it):

• 1 standard Webinar Channel with standard progression statuses: Invited, Registered, No Show, Attended, etc. (We use a Tag called "Series" to further define Webinar series/categories.)
  • 4 different Programs for our 4 different methods of advertising the webinar (each using this same Channel):
    1. Internal DB email invites
    2. Paid external network email invites
    3. Social Media
    4. Banner Ad Network
    • Each of the 4 Programs has it's own landing page (for registration) as a local asset.
    • Each of the 4 Programs will track progression status, and hence success points, separately.
  • 1 Event Program used for our GTW Adapter API that registers with a trigger that listens to any of the 4 landing pages form fillouts.
    • This Event is mainly for API hookup, and we will not assign a Program Cost to keep it out of RCA entirely so there's no attribution overlap. We may also need to put a wait step in the flow of the registration trigger so that the Acquired by field is always attached to one of the 4 Programs.

I hope this will work for our ROI reporting purposes. It is certainly clunky though and will be a pain to clone each time we're launching a new webinar. This is why we too were looking for a parent/child relationship for MKTO Programs and were disheartened to see it wasn't available. We couldn't find much on other best practice options for this.
Dan_Stevens_

I've started a similar discussion recently around our desire to measure channel effectiveness: http://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PjVKAA0

Justin/Michael - how have your approaches been working for you thus far?  When you're using this approach for events, are you required to view the members of each channel program to view event registrants - or is that all contained within a single program?  In our case (for an event), program success for an Online Advertising channel would be a generic "engaged" status step.  Here, that would mean they attended the event (or could be registered for the event).  Regardless, that activity would be contained in the channel program and not the event program.  Love to hear your thoughts around this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

• The short answer is: the method I posted above works, but it is indeed a huge pain to clone all these Programs and get the Smart Campaigns' cross references back in place (something that happens automatically for assets within 1 Program that gets cloned.)
  • For us, because we have a "master" Program that we use for the API hookup that also listens to any of the registration form fillouts, we have that one Program to view any membership numbers/status at any time. However, you can also look at the "children" Programs to see these same numbers split up amongst our advertising channels.