Channel Classification

Anonymous
Not applicable

Channel Classification

I am handling my company's migration and have been facing difficulty with channel classification for some of our historical campaigns (programs in Marketo).

Let me describe an example: I sent an email blast (in the past using a different marketing automation service) containing the link to a blog post as the call-to-action. Would the channel for this type of situation be Email Blast or Blog?

The two solutions I have toyed with are:
1) Channel: Blog, Lead Source: Email Blast
2) Channel: Email Blast, Lead Source: Email Blast

Another example would be an email blast containing the link to a landing page to download a case study. In this situation, would the channel be Case Study or Email Blast?

Further guidance on channel classification would be greatly appreciated!
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

Re: Channel Classification

I have a channel called Blog and the content of the email is an excerpt from the blog post on our website.  If a new lead is acquired from this program, the source is the blog.  

One of our channels are integrated where telemarketers, print and email are in one channel.  But we can tell who is converting because a couple of the status steps have TMK on it.  

We have publications email broadcasts that's an operational channel because they are paid electronic versions of the publications eventhough it seems like it should be email.  But it's not an email promotion.

We have linkedIn ads which has a social channel.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Channel Classification

Here's something I've been thinking in my head since we have a similar issue. Could we make our channels/SFDC Types channels and assets. Making the Assets a parent campaign and the channels of deliverability the child campaigns. We could then see how the overall asset is preforming (and tie in any needed APIs) while allowing the child campaigns to get the influence and multi-touch reporting we want.

Cons might be that this makes the system much more complicated. Pros are this would meet both challenges head on. Are there specific reporting limitations with Full Circle, Marketo or SFDC if we do this? Is there something we aren't thinking about?