SOLVED

Changing token value for each email send

Go to solution
MarketingMe
Level 2

Changing token value for each email send

I send a weekly email that I edit slightly each week.  I have all emails in one default program because it goes to the basically the same list each week.  I have tokens set-up to build the UTM links.  All tokens stay the same except for my.term which will change to be the date of the send.  

What is the impact of changing the my.term date token each week when I send the new email?  What happens to the my.term UTM in the old emails that have sent already?  If someone clicks an old email, will it be the old my.term date or will it change to the new my.term date?  Is it okay to change the my.term date each week or is it best practice to have a new email program each week I send this email?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Changing token value for each email send

Emails in people's inboxes never change! They're already rendered with the value at the time of the send.

Frankly if you're just outputting the current date, you should be using a Velocity (Email Script) {{my.token}} that always outputs the live date, not a Text {{my.token}} that you have to change manually.

As for reusing the same email asset, depends on your needs.  If you're OK reporting on clicks/other engagement within time ranges, and of course you're already differentiating the links by date as well, stick with it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Changing token value for each email send

Emails in people's inboxes never change! They're already rendered with the value at the time of the send.

Frankly if you're just outputting the current date, you should be using a Velocity (Email Script) {{my.token}} that always outputs the live date, not a Text {{my.token}} that you have to change manually.

As for reusing the same email asset, depends on your needs.  If you're OK reporting on clicks/other engagement within time ranges, and of course you're already differentiating the links by date as well, stick with it.