Changing our Lead Scoring Model - What to do with Existing Leads?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing our Lead Scoring Model - What to do with Existing Leads?

Hello-
We're getting ready to change our lead scoring model. We'll be going from one with an MQL threshold of 25 to a threshold of 100.  Would appreciate suggestions on what to do with the existing leads and their scores, as well as any lessons learned from others who have done this.  Thanks!
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Changing our Lead Scoring Model - What to do with Existing Leads?

Generally it is best to reset all scores and then rebuild with batch campaigns for demographics.

Rebuilding behavioral is a bit harder, but you can do this for most key behaviors in the past 90 days.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh. So would you ignore any behavioral activity more than 90 days prior? For example, if the person has been in the database for 1 year but still hasn't become an MQL, you would only score on their activity on the past 90 days, correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are in the same process of resetting lead scoring also, and I was thinking of resetting the scoring also and in addition to that we are planning to download a list of leads with high lead score (top 10%) and see that after resetting do they come back to high score after a period of 2-3 months [This might apply to B2B where there is longer sales cycle and more cross-sell and up-sell].
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input Harjot. So before you do your score reset, you're planning to download scores of those who have high scores, but not enough to MQL?

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Instantly Switching over to the new lead scoring program may appear to be the ideal solution. However, I would recommend doing the following:
  • Create new Score custom fields in MKTO for Demographic_Score_New & Behavioral_Score_New. You can always use any of your existing unused junk fields in MKTO by converting them and renaming them.
  • Start appending new demographic & behavior scores to these fields in MKTO and turn it on.
  • Create a view in Salesforce where you can see both old scores and new lead scores. 
  • Let your Sales Reps & Sales Leaders use the new scoring for at least 3 weeks. 
  • Get feedback from sales team and see if you want to make any tweaks. 
  • Update the new lead scoring campaigns to append scores in the fields you are currently using.
  • Reset the demographic score for existing leads and run them through the new campaign. If you have large database, I would strongly recommend running batches over the weekends.
  • Reset the existing behavior score for lead. However, I would suggest you run a score normalization campaign, where you assign some behavior score based on their old score. 
Happy to discuss more in detail. Drop me a line at rachitp@grazitti.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Rachit. I'll consider your suggestions and present all these ideas in an upcoming meeting.