SOLVED

Re: Changing engagement program stream

Go to solution
Pierre_Lintzer
Level 1

Changing engagement program stream

Hi,

I'm having difficulty transitioning leads from one stream to another in an engagement program.

I have 2 streams, one "Awareness" and one "Investigate and Compare". I want the leads to transition to the second one once the content in the first one is exhausted.

Here is a screen shot of my setup:

pastedImage_1.png

The 73 exhausted leads did not transition to the 2nd stream.

pastedImage_6.png

Now even more confusing, I set up a smart campaign to "manually" move leads to the other stream, with the below settings:

Smart List:

pastedImage_3.png

Flow:

pastedImage_4.png

and in the Schedule tab, I see that 0 people will be affected by the smart campaign, when I am expecting to see 73:

pastedImage_5.png

Anyone has any idea what I could be missing?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Dan is right, do not use transition rules. Use batch smart campaigns instead. They are far easier to debug. The filtered SC you have created is correct.

The fact that your SC not yielding any member means that the leads have necessarily be moved out of the stream or are no longer exhausted.

Create a smart list with all leads that have been sent the email 6-3, and examine their activity logs, this is the only way to know what happened and stop speculating

-Greg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

nothing sticks out immediately. if you create a smart list with the same filter you defined above do 73 people show? can you also confirm you don't see anyone in the Investigate and Compare stream when the "People" view is selected as opposed to "Content"?

Pierre_Lintzer
Level 1

Hi Keith, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Creating the smart list doesn't help, but if I get rid of the "Exhausted Content" constraint, I can see every lead in the stream, so I suspect the problem comes from this field. I have raised a support ticket.

Also confirming no one is in the other stream under the people view.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This isn't a solution, per se, but once you figure out this issue, it's recommended to use smart campaigns to move your leads between streams (rather than transition rules).  More flexible and just easier to use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It could be because in your transition rules smart list, you're using a filter to indicate exhausted content, not a trigger.

Pierre_Lintzer
Level 1

Thanks Courtney. I'm actually using a trigger (email is delivered) in the transition rule smart list.

Exequiel_Carriz
Level 2

I would change that trigger for a filter with something along "Was sent [Last Email Name]"

Adolfo_Correa
Level 2

Sound like an option. Could you explain the logic behind it? Why would it work vs a "delivered" trigger? Have you tried it?

David_Jackman1
Level 2

Unless I'm missing a reason for having both a transition rule and smart campaign that moves the exhausted people along, you may want to try removing the "Email is delivered" trigger in transition rule, and then delete and then re-set up your smart campaign to refresh.

I imagine Marketo is likely seeing two separate conditions for moving a person from Stream 1 to Stream 2 and therefore, not taking any action there. Though having been delivered the last email in the stream seems close enough to being exhausted from our point of view, technically these are not the same as there could be conditions that would differentiate them (ex: new content being dropped into the stream--into the last email position--before the person received what was supposed to be the last one, etc).

Hope that helps!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Dan is right, do not use transition rules. Use batch smart campaigns instead. They are far easier to debug. The filtered SC you have created is correct.

The fact that your SC not yielding any member means that the leads have necessarily be moved out of the stream or are no longer exhausted.

Create a smart list with all leads that have been sent the email 6-3, and examine their activity logs, this is the only way to know what happened and stop speculating

-Greg