Changes to Marketo Salesforce Sync – Questions and Discussion

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Re: Changes to Marketo Salesforce Sync – Questions and Discussion

Diana Dimitrova

I apologize for the conflicting information. I've reached out to the Support Engineer you were working with and their manager to correct that incorrect information they gave.

This change can definitely be done in the sandbox environment the same as it would for a production instance.

Please let me know if you have any more questions at all. Happy to help get them answered.

Thanks,

Mike

Diana_Dimitrova
Level 2

Thank you very much, Mike!

Is it possible to test the changes in Sandbox before the scheduled window (1st-31st January)?

Kind regards,

Diana

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Diana -

I see Mike already replied but I wanted to let you know that we tested this in our sandbox environment first before implementing it in our production instance. There was no problem at all and the behavior in the sandbox was identical to the behavior in the production environment.

Denise

Diana_Dimitrova
Level 2

Thank you, Denise!

Kind regards,

Diana

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

I don't have any workflows in Salesforce, but I have visibility rules so not all the leads/contacts sync with marketo.

If I create the new fields, do I have to do anything else?

E.g. I have lead scoring implemented in Marketo (no workflows in Salesforce), will Marketo just replace the fields in all the smart list and treat the new ones as the old ones? - e.g. when the lead reaches 60 is passed to sales. if someone has 65 in the old one (was passed to sales), will it be passed again when the changes take place?

E.g. I have a checkbox called Marketo in Salesforce, if the checkbox is ticked that lead is seen by marketo, otherwise is not. Do I have to do anything in relation to that visibility? add the new fields somewhere or something like that?

Thank you.

Irene

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hi Irene Garcia

This sort of scenario is why we created this doc: Changes to Marketo Salesforce Sync – Preventative Troubleshooting. We've seen a few customers encounter similar scenarios, and you'll want to be sure you're all set before making the configuration changes.

There are a few points to cover here.

• First, nothing changes on the Marketo side at all. The Lead Score field and all the rest will stay the same in Marketo, so there's no change to the fields in Marketo and no data will be lost at all. Your smart lists, campaign flows and everything else inside of Marketo will stay the same and don't need to be updated at all. The changes you'll see will all be inside of SFDC.

Inside of Salesforce, there are a few things to watch out for.

• Your visibility rules will definitely affect which leads and contacts are able to be updated by the backf... The backfill process uses the Sync User credentials, so if the sync user doesn't have visibility to those leads or contacts, there's no way for the backfill to update them. You'll need to evaluate those leads to see whether you need the existing lead scores from Marketo passed into the new lead score fields in Salesforce. If you do, then you'll want to open up the visibility to the leads for the sync user before recreating the new fields. One thing to keep in mind here though, is that when the backfill is done to put the existing values into the newly recreated fields, it queues the record to resync back to Marketo again, which will update all field values between Marketo and SFDC.
  • Your scoring model on whether to pass the leads to sales will need to be checked also. From the sounds of it, (correct me if I'm wrong) it's a Marketo campaign that triggers off of the Marketo lead score field when it passes 60, yes? If so, then since this is in the Marketo side, and nothing is changing to the fields inside of Marketo, then there's nothing to worry about here at all.
  • Another option to watch for is if the scoring model is within SFDC. I've seen some customers that have a workflow in place that basically does the same thing, except from the Salesforce side. In SFDC, when the lead reaches 60 or higher, it activates the workflow to route the lead to a sales rep. If that's how you set it up, you'll want to be careful. Check out the Preventative Troubleshooting doc and look specifically for the sections Examples of the behaviors and solutions and also Preventing these issues. If your workflow is looking at the newly recreated field, then a lead who already has a score of 60 will activate the workflow because the backfill enters it as a new value. However, if you keep the workflow looking at the older existing fields, it'll bypass that problem because the scores aren't changing in those original fields and you can update the workflow after the backfill is complete.

Long answer, I know. But it's a surprisingly tricky scenario when you dig into the possibilities there. Hope that answers it all for you!

Thanks,

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

Thanks a mil for your response. I had already looked at the documents when I posted here but I was still a bit confuse.

Regarding the visitibility rules:

The reason I have this set up is because of the limit of records I have in Marketo, by database in Salesforce is much bigger, so I can't open up the visibility. I guess the only information lost will be with the leads that were in Marketo but now are only in Salesforce, the score won't be passed to the new value. but that's ok for me I think as they are not in marketo anymore for a reason.

Regarding the scoring:

That's fine then. All my scoring rules are only in Marketo so I don't see any conflict here.

I'll have another look at the documents before I make the changes anyway, but now I'm more convinced that everything will be fine

Thanks again.

Irene

Mia_Whitfield
Level 2

Hi Mike Reynolds

I used to have MLM and I uninstalled it from Salesforce back in October.  My team decided they did want to sync the Inferred fields after all, so I just finished the Bon Jovi instructions to recreate those fields in Salesforce with the "mkto71_" prefix.  When I log in to Marketo and look at our field mapping, though, it has those fields mapped to "mkto2_"  (see screenshot)  Is that left over from when we had MLM installed?  Will the sync correctly tie to the new mkto71_ fields?  Is there anything I need to do to ensure that happens?

Thanks for your help!

Mia

pastedImage_0.png

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hi Mia Whitfield

That's a good question. That Field Mapping tab is always a source of confusion. The fields shown there are usually a reference to the original mapping that was in place at the time when they were first set up, which is why you'd still see mkto2__ prefix there. Instead of going to the Field Mapping tab, look under the Field Management tab to the left of it. Find one of the fields, highlight it, and the mapping will show in the middle of the page like so:

Where inside of Field Management.png

That should get Bon Jovi rockin' and rollin' again the way that Jeff Coveney​ talked about!

Let me know if that works. Happy to help answer any other questions you may have.

-Mike

Mia_Whitfield
Level 2

Thanks, Mike! That did the trick ☺