Changes to Marketo Salesforce Sync – Questions and Discussion

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Re: Changes to Marketo Salesforce Sync – Questions and Discussion

MLM can't be installed new any more. The package has been removed entirely so that people don't have to install it and then immediately remove it again. So the only option would be to manually recreate the fields, which is better anyway because it lets you pick and choose which fields are useful as opposed to being stuck syncing all 16 to each object. The doc we created around this process Adding Marketo Fields to Salesforce will do the same as the original doc from our Product docs team: Step 1 of 3: Add Marketo Fields to Salesforce (Enterprise/Unlimited) - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

As for the schedule, if you're recreating the fields on an existing instance that had the MLM package already in place, you'll want to stick to the release schedule. But if this is a brand new installation, don't worry about that and go right ahead.

Thanks,

Mike

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike Reynolds​,

What if an instance has been opened in June, but the package has not been installed yet. We need to start the sync now. The Account string starts with "G" (backfill planned for October). Should we ask support to anticipate and activate the backfill now?

Thx for your help.

-Greg

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hi Greg,

If the MLM or MSI packages haven't been installed yet, you can just go ahead and install them. The changes here and the scheduling involved are really meant just for existing customers who already have the packages installed and need to recreate the fields to replace the previous ones.

Thanks,

Mike

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Mike Reynolds,

Should I install them both?? My understanding is that I should now install only the MSI package. I do not want to install the MLM package and have to uninstall it in 3 weeks

-Greg

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Greg,

No, definitely don't install the MLM package. It's been removed from the AppExchange so it shouldn't even be available any more, but some people still apparently have a direct link to it bookmarked. Just install the MSI package alone.

Mike

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

OK, this is what I had gathered

-Thx a lot!!

-Greg

Mia_Whitfield
Level 2

Thank you for your response, Mike, but unfortunately that's not true.  MLM *can* be installed new, and I did, in my production Salesforce environment in late August, via an old URL. We have just learned what I installed was very out of date (1.17) and support just told us the latest version is 1.4359.0 and gave me the link to access it.  So we have several dilemnas:

1. Is there any way to find out whether my installation of the old MLM package in our production kicked off processes related to this transition?

2. Now knowing that our production is running with a very out of date version, should I update it to the version given by support?

3. Our scheduled window isn't until October.  If advice is to uninstall the old MLM package in production (and never install it in our refreshed sandbox), should I be creating the fields now or waiting until October?

It feels like we have a mess on our hands and is very distressing.  It's further frustrating that while we had raised this to support and our account manager, neither was well versed enough in what you are doing to advise us properly.

Mia_Whitfield
Level 2

Mike, unfortunately since the Sandbox was refreshed from production, it has a copy of the old version 1.17 of MLM that was in production, and the fields as well.

We are only a few months into working with Marketo, and my team tells me they would just as soon wait on some of the fields in the MLM package, if they could add them to Salesforce at a future time (even further in the future than October, possibly next year).  If we wait, can we add the fields in the future if we want them?

If we can add the fields in the future (next year and beyond) and still have a valid sync between Marketo & Salesforce, our cleanest approach might be to uninstall MLM for both production and sandbox and just create the fields again in the future in Salesforce if and when we need them. 

What do you think Mike Reynolds​?

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Mia Whitfield​​

The installation process has been updated to avoid the MLM package, but since you've got the MLM Package installed by using the older links to it, however it got installed, then it would fall within the configuration change here. The fields would be there and would need to be recreated to retain the data in SFDC if you need it there. If you scheduled time is in October, that's the time when you should be recreating the fields to initiate the backfill process. We can always reschedule the time if this doesn't work, just Contact Marketo Support if you'd like to find a new time before the data cutoff on January 31st, 2017.

If you don't need to have the data right away, you can certainly wait until later to recreate the fields like next year. Whenever you do it in the future, it will still automatically connect to the corresponding Marketo field. You can uninstall the MLM package (directions here: Uninstalling a Package) now if you'd like, and that'll remove the fields that were created by the MLM package.

Here are the specific questions you had asked:

1. Is there any way to find out whether my installation of the old MLM package in our production kicked off processes related to this transition?

The old MLM package used different field API names, so there wouldn't be any way for this process to be kicked off by those fields.

2. Now knowing that our production is running with a very out of date version, should I update it to the version given by support?

There's a big difference between MLM and MSI. The MLM package stands for Marketo Lead Managment and is what created the fields. MSI stands for Marketo Sales Insight and is the one that will be retained. You can see the differences here. Since MLM is being retired, don't bother updating it. But if you're actually referring to the MSI package, the I would definitely recommend upgrading your MSI package to the newest version, and the directions can be found right here: Upgrade Marketo Sales Insight for Salesforce1 - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

3. Our scheduled window isn't until October.  If advice is to uninstall the old MLM package in production (and never install it in our refreshed sandbox), should I be creating the fields now or waiting until October?

If you plan on retaining the information before the January 31st cutoff date, then you'll need to go by the schedule for when to recreate the fields and do it in October. As mentioned above, if that time doesn't work for you, just contact support and we'll get you a better time. Or, if it's not a rush, you can also put it off past the January 31st cutoff date.

Let me know if that helps.

Mike

Mia_Whitfield
Level 2

Thank you, Mike.  I think I understand now, but to be sure, would you please confirm this is a good plan of action:

0. Assuming we aren't using and don't need to preserve data in the fields that will be retired

1. Uninstall MLM from both production and sandbox, which will remove the old fields(and their data)

• Doing so will not break the sync of standard fields, correct?

2. Follow the steps you discuss here to reconnect our Marketo sandbox and Salesforce sandbox.

• Sync will not require any package to be installed in SFDC, correct?
  • I will work with Support on disconnecting our old sandbox org ID and reconnecting to our new sandbox org ID

3. At this point, all the standard Salesforce fields will be synching. 

• If we choose to sync custom fields at any point in the future, we can do so by following these instructions

Please let me know if this sounds good or if there is anything I'm missing.

Also, we are still struggling with the second issue around edits and locking.  I will highlight the other thread, as I am hopeful you might have more info.

Jon MetcalfKathryn Langemak