Re: Changes to Marketo Salesforce Sync – Questions and Discussion

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hi Alexis,

There wouldn't be any need to change Smart Campaigns or forms within Marketo at all. When the new fields are created in Salesforce, it would only affect things that have a dependency on the fields on that side, within Salesforce.

So, Marketo's data isn't changed and the fields stay exactly where they are inside of Marketo. No need to make any changes there. But, if you have any reports or workflows inside of Salesforce that use the fields there, those would need to be updated on that side in Salesforce.

Check out the "Cleaning Up SFDC" section in our Under the Hood doc: https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-3836#jive_content_id_Cleaning_Up_SFDC and let me know if you have any other questions

Chris_Chariton
Level 2

What does this mean for instance using Salesforce professional (which does not come with an API)?  I we going to lose all syncing to all market salesforce fields beyond the 16?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Chris,

If you use Marketo sync with a Pro edition, then you are using the SFDC API as an option (SFDC API is a paid option for Pro users).

-Greg

Erica_Harris2
Level 3

Actually, Greg, this is not true. Historically, Marketo/SFDC allowed the integration without a specific API subscription in SFDC, as they have done with a number of AppExchange products, but now appearing to be withdrawing this without saying so. This is causing real issues with my Professional Edition customers. We've been contacted by Marketo saying it is Salesforce's fault, and Salesforce are saying we have to upgrade to Enterprise (which is a cost we can't bear). Watch this space...

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erica,

Well, some of my customers that implemented Marketo with a SFDC PE 3.5 years ago already had to purchase the API on top of their pro edition and I do not remember the period of time where what you describe was possible (our 1st Marketo project was in 2010, but then the customer was using a SFDC EE)

May be it was just some bundling that was made in the past and now discontinued? Or maybe this is something that SFDC is doing especially to Marketo customers

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike -
Once the fields are (re-) created on the Lead and Contact in SFDC - how can we tell which is which when mapping them together in SFDC? The mapping is based on field name - rather than API name so, for example,  how can I tell if I'm mapping the new Lead Score on the Lead to the right version of Lead Score on he Contact?

pastedImage_0.png

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Denise, I'd change the friendly name of one of these fields (I renamed the old one). This will also help if you're using the fields in any reporting, you'll notice if it's pulling in the old field since that will no longer update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory - That makes sense except while we're waiting for Marketo to start updating the new fields and the old ones are still in effect, won't it mess up the field sync with Marketo if I re-name the old fields?

Thank you!

Denise

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Denise, you're just changing the friendly name, not the API name.. so it won't impact the sync. Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah - Thank you!