Re: Changes to Marketo Salesforce Sync – Questions and Discussion

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

I am just now getting to setting up a lead scoring program.  Has your product documentation been updated to reflect the change?

I am looking at this: Create a Lead Scoring Program - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

and Adding Marketo Fields to Salesforce Enterprise/Unlimited Edition

Thanks.

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hi Sheryl Williams

Yes, both of those docs are current. With this configuration change, the fields change in SFDC, but nothing inside of Marketo changes at all. The Marketo score fields are the same as they were, they just point at a different field inside of SFDC now. So, all documentation like Create a Lead Scoring Program - Marketo Docs - Product Docs  stays current because nothing is changing on the Marketo side. As for the second doc Adding Marketo Fields to Salesforce Enterprise/Unlimited Edition that's current because that's the one we created to outline the new process being used moving forward.

Thanks,

Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Mike,

According to our account string we have been scheduled for November.

I have created the two Lead score fields for the Lead/Contact object. I have made sure that both of them have got in the API name the prefix "mkto71_" so they both look like this "mkto71_Lead_Score__c".

* I have done this in sandbox.

1. Do i need to update the field level-security to none visible for the old fields now? or do i have to wait until next week to do that?

2. When should i be mapping both fields?

Thanks for your help.

Jessica

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hi Jessica Moros

As soon as the new fields have been recreated, the old ones are essentially obsolete pretty much immediately. You can change field level security or you can uninstall the MLM Package which would delete the fields entirely.

The only thing I'd clarify is what you're referring to with mapping both fields. As soon as the new fields are recreated with the correct API names, the mapping is done automatically on the back end on the very next sync cycle. Just let me know what you mean there, but otherwise you should be good.

Thanks,
Mike

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mike.

so the sync will happen outside our sync time? if yes, then whats the

difference of doing it now and doing it in November.

2. I was talking about the mapping of the fields in Salesforce for when

converting a lead to a contact.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Mike Reynolds <marketingnation@marketo.com

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

The backfill process goes through a separate "pipeline" outside of the normal sync, so it won't compete with your regular sync cycle. However, when there's an update to a field value in SFDC, that creates a new SysModStamp on the record, indicating that it's been updated and should resync to Marketo again.

When a lead converts to a contact in SFDC, the field values from the lead record just transfer right over to the contact record. So with the backfill pushing data into the new fields, the data going in will get copied right over to the contact record once it's converted (assuming you've recreated the fields on both the lead and contact objects).

The main goal of scheduling the times for when to recreate the fields is to avoid a bottleneck of having multiple customers kicking it off all at the same time. By spreading it out over time, we spread out the workload on the data transfer, so it keeps it all in check. That said, we've had a surprisingly low number of customers actually making the changes so far. So much so that we're actually wide open if you wanted to kick it off early. Big disclaimer for anyone reading this later on -- this applies as of the scheduling right now and I can't guarantee this will be true later on during the deployment. As of now, we can move the schedule forward if you wanted to kick it off now, but we can't push it backwards if you wanted to put it off. With the low turnout so far, we're also expecting a lot of people to rush at the last minute, putting stress on the bandwidth later on. So... short version there is, go right ahead and start it now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you so much for your help.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Mike Reynolds <marketingnation@marketo.com

Timothy_Gilbert
Level 2

Mike, If we rename the existing fields with the updated names, would this work instead of creating new fields?

Thanks,

Tim

Mike_Reynolds2
Level 10

Hi Tim Gilbert

Unfortunately no, the fields do need to be recreated as new fields. The big configuration change happening is actually on the SFDC side -- these fields in particular are having the communication to them cut off. So even if they're given new names, technically within SFDC, they're still the same fields and SFDC will be cutting them off. So, recreating them as new fields is needed to get around that.

- Mike

Timothy_Gilbert
Level 2

Got it, thanks Mike.