SOLVED

Re: Change the default Unsubscribe token

Go to solution
Jean-Pascal_Mer
Level 4

Change the default Unsubscribe token

Hey guys,

We've built a subscription center and would like to update the Unsubscribe link in all our emails to go to that Subscription page.

The Unsubscribe token is a default token from Marketo, but is there a way I can change where it directs so that I don't have to create a new token and go edit all my emails?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Ok, got it. You'll need to just update the templates themselves to point to your fixed URL instead of this token. Then you can clear everything out of the unsubscribe section (Remove Unsubscribe Text From the "Admin -> Email" Section - Marketo Docs - Product Docs​) or make all emails "operational" so they don't get the default Marketo unsubscribe message.

Once you update your Email Templates it will make drafts behind the scenes for all individual Emails that utilize that template. To make your life easier, you can go to Design Studio > Emails to do a bulk-approval of these resulting emails OR you can also reach out to our support team, who will be able to help process a bulk approval for you.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

You can go to Admin > Email and change what will appear in the HTML view and TEXT view of emails. Just make the link point to your page instead of the default.

Jean-Pascal_Mer
Level 4

Wouldn't that only apply to the default unsubscribe text Marketo renders and not the token?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Sorry, confusion about how you were doing this. You have custom unsubscribe text in your template itself and are just using the system link to point that custom text to the right page?

Jean-Pascal_Mer
Level 4

Yes, exactly. We're using the Unsub token in our own templates.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Ok, got it. You'll need to just update the templates themselves to point to your fixed URL instead of this token. Then you can clear everything out of the unsubscribe section (Remove Unsubscribe Text From the "Admin -> Email" Section - Marketo Docs - Product Docs​) or make all emails "operational" so they don't get the default Marketo unsubscribe message.

Once you update your Email Templates it will make drafts behind the scenes for all individual Emails that utilize that template. To make your life easier, you can go to Design Studio > Emails to do a bulk-approval of these resulting emails OR you can also reach out to our support team, who will be able to help process a bulk approval for you.

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The unsubscribe token currently resolves to "/UnsubscribePage.html".  If we had a subscription center and had a different URL, would we be able to work with Marketo support to change this URL (since there's no way to change it ourselves within Admin)?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Hey Dan,

Not sure, actually. Your scenario makes sense though. Let me look into that.

Justin

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Dan,

Probably easier to assign the "/UnsubscribePage.html" to your subscription center . Just change the URL of the "old" unsub page to "/UnsubscribePage-Old.html" (landing page actions -> URL Tools -> Edit URL settings ) and discard the previous UTL doing so, then assign the "/UnsubscribePage.html" URL to the subscription center. We do this all the time.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I agree - that's the easiest solution.  I was just hoping to create a more meaningful page name that doesn't sound so disengaging.