SOLVED

Re: Change Data Value Using 2 Conditions

Go to solution
bcarp-palisade
Level 2

Change Data Value Using 2 Conditions

Hi y'all! 

Been trying to figure out if this is possible. 

Scenario: A lead is pushed to the SFDC Sync smart campaign. If that lead is from the UK and their postal code is empty then the sync fails.

Solution? I'd like to add a step in the flow prior to the Sync to SFDC step that checks if Country = UK AND Postal Code is empty. If so, then change Postal Code from Null to a generic one. 

Is this possible? If so, I'd love some tips on how to make this happen! 

Thanks! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brett C. - Marketing Manager @ Palisade
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

I usually do it exactly as Katja described.

Another option I have also used is to create a Smart List (Country = UK and PostCode is empty) and use "Is Member of Smart List" as a constraint. I was a little anxious to try that because I thought running that Smart List might take too long to work correctly in a Flow Step constraint, but I found this worked nicely.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Hi Brett,

You would need two steps indeed, as this goes beyond simply filtering out these leads from your sync step. From what you describe I would use two flow steps with some fancy Choices logic:

1. Your first step would be a Change Data Value with at least two choices:
    1. If the country is anything other than UK, Do Nothing. Doublecheck that an empty country code also falls under this choice, otherwise add it as a separate choice.
    2. In your second choice you should have only UK left: If postal code is not empty, Do Nothing again
    3. For your Default choice you should have only UK with empty postal code left, so you change postal code to your dummy value.
  2. Now you are ready to run your sync flow step. With choices, you can still filter out records that would cause a sync error with the same kind of Choices logic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Katja

Melissa_Day
Level 3 - Champion Alumni

I have had similar issues! In our case, a mandatory field, Geo Region, needs to contain a value. This value is determined based on country, and is filled in within another smart campaign. However, if this smart campaign did not finish running in time before the person attempted to sync with SFDC, I would receive a similar error.

My recommended solution for you: 

1. Update your sync smart campaign to start with a 1 minute wait step in the flow (before the sync step)

2. Add a trigger smart campaign to run when lead is created (trigger) -OR- when data value changes, attribute: country (trigger) -AND- country is UK (filter). For the flow step, update data value if postal code is empty to a placeholder.

Michael_Florin
Level 10

I usually do it exactly as Katja described.

Another option I have also used is to create a Smart List (Country = UK and PostCode is empty) and use "Is Member of Smart List" as a constraint. I was a little anxious to try that because I thought running that Smart List might take too long to work correctly in a Flow Step constraint, but I found this worked nicely.

bcarp-palisade
Level 2

Thanks for all the suggestions! 🙂 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brett C. - Marketing Manager @ Palisade