SOLVED

Capturing form fills and UTMs from non-Marketo forms (Typeform)

Go to solution
Michele_Stodda1
Level 2

Capturing form fills and UTMs from non-Marketo forms (Typeform)

I have a problem that hopefully someone can assist.

We recently created a survey using typeform (www.spartasystems.com/quality-maturity). We would like to be able to:

1. See who completed the survey - using a trigger in Marketo. Was thinking "Lead is Created" with a "Source Type=Web Services API" but not sure if that will work with #2

2. Use UTM tracking so we can place this survey on several media platforms (i.e. LinkedIn, website, online advertising)

Any help or insight would be great.  Not a developer, so laymen terms would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Capturing form fills and UTMs from non-Marketo forms (Typeform)

Yes, you'd use an embedded form.

Start by just placing the form on the page (still visible) and have the hidden fields populating from the query params.  Use Dev Tools/Inspector to make sure they're getting filled in correctly, i.e. you don't need to submit the form to test whether it's working.

You'll work up to hiding the form (CSS display:none;) and auto-submitting it in the background without user interaction (JS MktoForms2.whenReady(function(form){ form.submit(); }) but you don't want to automate it until you've tested it appropriately... it'll just create chaff in your database and make debugging harder.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

There are various ways to do this, but they all boil down to be able to capture the UTMs on survey entry and pass that information to Marketo when the survey ends.

I know how to do this with Qualtrics (using a form endpoint being called as web service from Qualtrics) or SurveyMonkey (Using Survey Monkey Marketo connector), but do not know about this software.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

You're kind of getting ahead of yourself, I think.

Is your TypeForm truly writing to Marketo using the REST API? Otherwise such a trigger has no meaning.

I wouldn't steer TypeForm through the API (i.e. Zapier) though.

Instead, choose Redirect After Submitting and take them to a Marketo LP that automatically submits a form for the lead (it looks like a Thank You page, but it's also logging the Filled Out Form ​activity to Marketo). It should also be noted that if you don't do this, you won't get an associated tracking (Munchkin) session.

Michele_Stodda1
Level 2

I believe it is using a REST API but I also tired using a Zap integration as well.  Nothing seems to work.  I guess I'll try what you suggested above.

SanfordWhiteman

Pretty sure the "native" Typeform → Marketo integration is via Zapier.

The Redirect After Submitting method is more efficient and full-featured, in any case.

Michele_Stodda1
Level 2

Unfortunately the redirect is being used to compile the survey and show the results.

pastedImage_0.png

SanfordWhiteman

That's not a problem!

You need a page that has a (hidden) Marketo form on it which fills its (hidden) fields from URL params passed over from TypeForm. The Thank You/Show Results page is the perfect place for this.

That Marketo form then submits in the background as soon as it's ready, giving you a native Filled Out Form activity to track and all the fields merged into the Marketo lead.

Michele_Stodda1
Level 2

Would I use the embed code for the Marketo form?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, you'd use an embedded form.

Start by just placing the form on the page (still visible) and have the hidden fields populating from the query params.  Use Dev Tools/Inspector to make sure they're getting filled in correctly, i.e. you don't need to submit the form to test whether it's working.

You'll work up to hiding the form (CSS display:none;) and auto-submitting it in the background without user interaction (JS MktoForms2.whenReady(function(form){ form.submit(); }) but you don't want to automate it until you've tested it appropriately... it'll just create chaff in your database and make debugging harder.

Michele_Stodda1
Level 2

Thanks Sanford.  I'll see if our CMS company (who's helping with this) can get this to work. Appreciate the information.