Capturing UTM source on website first visit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capturing UTM source on website first visit

Hi all,

Is there a way to record the utm parameters when a lead  is created?

I know that  forms can record utm parameters, but I'm trying to track the utm from the very first interaction. For example if some clicks on the link, www.mycompnay.com/?utm_source=social_media&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_content=Tweet&utmcampaign=SpecialDeal20140103 as their first interaction with the company (ie the first time a cookie is created) can I capture source=social_media etc?

I would have guessed that original source info would have been the easiest way to get this information, but it seems that it only captures www.mycompany.com/page1 rather than www.mycompany.com/page/?utm_source= etc.

Ideally I would want to avoid using any javascript. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Fred

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capturing UTM source on website first visit

The best I have seen so far is on this thread: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PWgDAAW

I
n particular this post:

Hi Itay,

Can you try this method?

Create a trigger campaign that says "Visits Webpage, Query String contains "sourcedescription=blogger1". Then use a flow step to "Change Data Value" for a particular field.

If you don't want this overwritten each time, this campaign could also have a filter that says "AND [field name] is empty". That way, the campaign won't overwrite the field if a value already exists. If you want to "expire" this cookie after X days, you can create a recurring batch campaign that says "Change Data Value to NULL if field was not updated to a new value in the past X days AND field is not empty".

Is this something along the lines of what you're looking for?

But I'd want to go one step further. Since I don't know which utm_sources I'm going to use I want for the field to update it automatically without haveing to enter "utm_source=x" every time i use a new utm source.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capturing UTM source on website first visit

Also I wouldn't want original referrer, I would want the actual part of my website they visited, not the one they came from