Re: Capturing Lead Source Using UTM Fields

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capturing Lead Source Using UTM Fields

I have been doing some research on this topic and wanted to validate that I am understanding correctly what needs to be done to capture lead source from a URL.

Do I need to create a field labeled: utm source?

Then append URL's with ?utm_source=website to capture the word "website" into the custom UTM Source field?

For example, my team posted a video to our website that is tracked by a munchkin tracking code.  I originally had our team append the URL with ?source=website but the information wasn't being transferred to the lead.  In doing some research it appears this isn't possible without putting a form on the page with a hidden field to capture this information.  So I am thinking the above may be the correct work around?

I appreciate any input on this topic.

Thank you!

23 REPLIES 23
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christine

You can capture the value "website" in any Marketo field. You can create a field "utm source" or use the default field "lead source", if you want.

To capture the data, you need to add this field to your forms, as hidden a field, then set the field value to be a URL parameter, and set the url parameter name to utm_source.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Gregoire for your response.

What if the page I am trying to capture the source from does not contain a Marketo form?  I understand the hidden form field capture, I'm trying to capture certain source codes from the URL.

Thank you,

Christine

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Christine,

Do you mean the entry page on the site does not contain any form or the page does contain a form that is not a Marketo form ?

• in the first case, this is a little complex. You need to have the utm values stored in session cookies so that Marketo can fill out the hidden fields from these cookies. It wil usually take some (not overly complex) java script
  • in the second, Marketo cannot do anything about it You'll have to see with the Non Marketo form developper to capture the utm values.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I mean the page does not contain any form. 

So it sounds like I need to add some java script?  Do you have any documentation you could send me about this?

Thank you again for your help!

Christine

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Sounds like the majority of this activity will be anonymous, correct?  If so, then your options are pretty limited on what you can report out of Marketo - and even more so after next weekend's release - when the "is anonymous" filters are removed from smart lists (Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.).  You'll have to rely on Google Analytics (or other platforms, like DemandBase) for anonymous activity beyond what you will still be able to achieve in the Web Page Activity Report and the Company Web Activity Report.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Dan,

You can also use cookies to store at least the first set of UTM's in permanent cookies (live span 2 years) and capture them later when the lead converts.

You then can use cookies to store the most recent set of UTM's in session cookies (live span session) and capture them in Marketo when the lead converts again.

With all this, you can get easily :

1. The very first set of UTM's
  2. The set of UTM's that trigger the first conversion
  3. The set of UTM's of the most recent visit with a conversion.

It just take some JS to do it.

It remains very complementary to GA, as, for instance, this will never give you accurate info about which channels convert and which don't.

-Greg

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Agree - I'm familiar with the basic approach here.  It sounded like there was some urgency around this and wanted to set the expectation that - without js - your options are very limited if the intention is to identify lead source of anonymous users.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Dan

Fully agree with you on this

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both!

Do either of you have a recommendation of where to look or what to search for in the community for helpful guides to set up the javascript?